The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prefer classic rock and southern rock and a some of the late 60's hits. Is it me or did music start to SUCK since about the mid-late 90's?? Alice in chains and Nirvana are about the only bands worth a damn. Some could argue Pearl Jam to. It seems nickelback is the current "thing" and they totally blow if you ask me. Girls band.

CCR
Lynard skynard
outlaws
Pink Floyd
Montrose
ACDC
ZZ top
Ted Nugent
Black Sabbath
Joe Walsh
Led Zeppelin
Eagles
little bit of Fleetwood Mac
Van Halen
Rush

to many to list really lol.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
It seems nickelback is the current "thing" and they totally blow if you ask me. Girls band.
Thank you! You're my new best friend! :hihi:

Anyway, I listen to a lot of 70's and 80's rock, some early 90's. I don't care for much of the music after '00. It all sounds the same. Metallica never gets old ;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nickelback irritates me. Want to hear something kinda weird? Youtube both "How you remind me" and "Someday" in separate tabs. Play them simultaneously and tell me that they're not the same damn song with different lyrics.

good music:

Metallica
Nirvana
Hinder
The Offspring
Greenday

Edit: haha, I found someone who laid them on top of each other in the same track! Give it a listen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aapr4SbWLF8&feature=related

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Electonica-influenced Emo.

Like Owl City, Jack's Mannequin, Postal Service, Deathcab for Cutie, etc.

I also like a lot of old school emo/punk like Dashboard Confessional, Saves the Day, Get Up Kids, Taking Back Sunday, etc.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
where are the good rap fans? Not souja boy or flo rida or anything on radios these days. I'm talking about classic 90's rap. Obviously Wu Tang is one of my favs. I also like Biggie, pre Carter III lil wayne, Jedi mind tricks, old Outkast, old Bone Thugs, and the great devin the dude.

I also like some rock, like Stevie Ray, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, and Tom Waits is another one of my all time favorites. Only bands I like these days is Brand New and some RHCP.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Electonica-influenced Emo.

Like Owl City, Jack's Mannequin, Postal Service, Deathcab for Cutie, etc.

I also like a lot of old school emo/punk like Dashboard Confessional, Saves the Day, Get Up Kids, Taking Back Sunday, etc.
YESSS!!! we're on the same page frosty! :proud:

·
Registered
127 Posts
mostly just this band named martyr your muses, jk that's my band I'm in, check it out if you like kind of weird alternative www.myspace.com/martyryourmuses (shameless plug)

I really dig a little of everything
Led Zeppelin
Modest Mouse
Say Anything
Alkaline Trio
Motion City Soundtrack
Rolling Stones ... just to name a few

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where are the good rap fans? Not souja boy or flo rida or anything on radios these days. I'm talking about classic 90's rap. Obviously Wu Tang is one of my favs. I also like Biggie, pre Carter III lil wayne, Jedi mind tricks, old Outkast, old Bone Thugs, and the great devin the dude.

I also like some rock, like Stevie Ray, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, and Tom Waits is another one of my all time favorites. Only bands I like these days is Brand New and some RHCP.

i like old school rap late 80's early 90's. Rap started sucking late 90's and now its just totally pathetic. BDP, spice one, ice t, too $hort, getto boys, 2 live crew, NWA, run dmc, LL cool J had some hits, so many I have to jog the memory. Old outkast and Nas is good to. I listened to rap mostly in my teens though. Kind of grew out of it. Gets old lol

I also don't mind a little techno depending on the style. House and trance mostly. The european side of me lol.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Country, old and new. I also like alot of old songs done new. I'll listen to guys and girls within country, but outside of country, I listen mostly to female vocalists.

Some of the females:
-Dido
-Vanessa Carlton
-Courtney Jaye
-Lily Allen
-etc etc

But within country, man, I wouldn't even know where to start.
-George Strait, Tanya Tucker, Eddie Arnold, Brooks and Dunn, Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson, Keith Urban, Joey and Rory, Kate and Kacey, Dustin Bental, Ridley Bent, Kendel Carson, Lee Ann Womack, Martina McBride, Faith Hill, blah blah blah forever and ever

Not a lot of people expect that from me. Ever.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I've sorta just got into Joey and Rory (Husband and Wife duo). www.myspace.com/joeyandrory

And as for Nickleback, I agree, not the best. I just can't believe that Chad Kroeger helped pen the song 'Its a Business Doing Pleasure with You' with Tim McGraw. Poor Tim.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Oh, god... what don't I listen to? I don't like country (or western), don't like "easy listening", don't like rap or gospel.

But my musical tastes change on an almost daily basis.

I love heavy metal - (early) Metallica and Shadows Fall are probably my favorites. I also love Kamelot and (early) Queensryche, Skid Row, AC/DC... and pretty much any '80s "hair band".

Right now I'm listening to a Stevie Ray Vaughan playlist I put together. "Superstition" at the moment...

I have another playlist that I call "Guilty Pleasures" - it's full of 80's pop. The Vapors, R.E.M., Kim Wilde, Blondie...

I enjoy Roni Benise, too. He's an acoustic guitarist. His music is a really odd mixture of Spanish flamenco, Brazilian rhumba and Caribbean calypso. Totally out of character for me, but there's just something about it. Relaxing and almost hypnotic.

About a year ago I started to really listen to classical music, and I can't believe I ignored it for my first 43 years... Vivaldi, Dvorak, Holst and Rossini are my very favorites, but I really enjoy almost all of it.

·
Many plants...little time
1,634 Posts
Wow...the list could be extensive
Jazz...
Louis Armstrong
Max Roach
Dizzy Gillespie
Charlie Parker
John Coltrane

Classic Rock
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
CCR
The Who
The Doors
Van Halen

Other
John Mayer Trio
Jack Johnson
Over the Rhine
Primus
Andrew Peterson
David Crowder Band
Caedmons Call
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
U2
Bob Marley

String Cheese Incident
Widespread Panic
Railroad Earth
From Good Homes
And more...

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
In addition to many bands mentioned, there's The Outlaws, Amazing Rhythm Aces, Asleep at the Wheel, Grateful Dead, Lou Reed - "Rock 'n' Roll", Steve Winwood, Ten Years After, Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship, Janis Joplin, Dire Straights, Allman Brothers, Jimmy Buffet, Rob Thomas w and w/o Matchbox 20, Hayley Westenra, Jethro Tull, Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Blue Grass, Blues, Ray Charles, Howlin' Wolf, Carolina Beach Music, Tams, Temptations, Billy Stewart, Major Lance, Mary Wells ...

There is a local AM station that plays beach, boogie and blues music. Last Friday they played a song that was a real hoot. Do you remember the old song "Sixty Minute Man"? They played it's "sequel". It was ole Dan singing "Can't do 60 No More." It was a scream. I didn't know that the "sequel" came out in 1954 and "SMM" came out in 1951.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcoX9hffWoA

·
Registered
398 Posts
progressive metal like between the buried and me..... melodic hardcore like for the fallen dreams... and tech metal like beneath the massacre. i like crazy timings or real music with feeling.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts