The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys/girls, I'm looking to take the next step and upgrade to a high tech aquarium. I want to buy "proper" equipment that is why I can only buy one of the following for now. Which should I get a Co2 setup or upgraded lighting.

My current setup,

10gallon tank
Fluorite substrate
2x13 watt 6500k spiral CFL (have 23watt 6500k spirals not in use)
dosing excel daily
root-tabs
flourish (plan on starting EI dosing with new Co2/lights)

Thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
co2 for sure.
Co2 is the fuel, and lighting/ferts is the gas pedal.
Can't move anywhere on an empty tank. ;)

Increasing lights increases the demand for co2.
You don't want to get a cheap co2 system though, or more problems will arise.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The reason I can only do one is because I want to do it right. Was looking at Dr Fosters and Smith complete Co2 system. I would like the page but it is currently down. If you have any suggestions that would be great.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Just a thought. Getting a CO2 system is going to be somewhat expensive. Considering the cost of a 10 gal tank setup verses the cost of CO2, it may not be worth doing on that size tank.

Perhaps your first upgrade should be a larger tank? Possibly a 30 or 40 gal tank.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Since it says "Best in the World" I really see no reason to look any further.:smile2:

My first concern would be the longevity of the electronic metering valve that opens and closes for every bubble. If there is an actual physical part moving I think that would be a problem. If it's truly "electronic" rather than electric/mechanical, wear might not be an issue. I don't know how they would do that, I also don't know how they could make a valve actually open and close multiple times a second, but hey, that's why I'm a heat and ac guy and not an electronic engineer.

They have some amazing tech now that I don't really understand. In my industry I can purchase a fairly inexpensive electronic contactor/relay that times it's closing to the 60 cycle a second hertz rate of our electrical current. It opens and closes during the flat part of the cycle when there is 0 voltage. That's right, It times it to hit one of those zero moments that happens 60 times every second! They can operate a million times with virtually no wear or arcing on the contacts. I'm wondering if they use some kind of similar technology.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Beware those would make wildly impossible statements.
I find those folks are most likely lying to you to cover their faults. If it was super quality and the best in the world would they have to be the one to tell you about it or would the world already be beating a path to their door?
Whether it is CO2 setups or politicians, I always look beyond the hype from one source. Especially true if that one source is also the one with the most to gain.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Kabula, you bring up some great questions about the solenoid that make me second guess myself. What I really want is a "Tank" of a regulator something that I will only buy once. However, I also want a solenoid that has some durability and accuracey, since they are replaceable lasting forever isn't my main concern with the solenoid. Any direction you can point me is great!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't believe a $200 regulator will make any difference to your tank or last longer than a $100 one but if you really wanted to spend the money I would go for a standard design, partly because you'll get more support from forums and more people will have the same experience.

Take a look at these..

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=5703266

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
How do you feel about screwing a set of parts together? I find value in buying new but cheaper single stage Beer regs and then adding quality where it counts in the solenoid and needle valve. Part of my reason for buying cheapish regs is that I've never worn one out as well as there being kits of parts for repairing them if I ever do let water in them to ruin the diaphragm. Tied together with a Clippard solenoid off the auction (got to be careful to get the RIGHT one) and a Fabco NV-55, I find it suits me.
Taprite Dual Gauge CO2 Regulator (5/16")

An alternate spot to find many of the parts you need to screw one together if that is your choice:\
CO2 Regulator Parts | CO2 For Planted Tanks And Home Brewing
It gives more of the one-stop shop way of finding things without beating the bushes so much. Never used them but they seem to have the basic items.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I recommend a GLA regulator. It comes with a three year warranty, any issue, just email them and send it back. They do the rest.
It comes ready to go, set it and forget it. "set and forget" is something that you cannot do with a cheap reg.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do you feel about screwing a set of parts together?
I would be a little wary of trying to build something I have no experience with. In time with a little mechanical understanding and knowing how it should function building one seems like the most economical and cutiomizable option.

I recommend a GLA regulator. It comes with a three year warranty, any issue, just email them and send it back. They do the rest.
It comes ready to go, set it and forget it. "set and forget" is something that you cannot do with a cheap reg.
Thanks for the suggestion! I have heard noting but mostly good reviews about GLA regulators. Actually, before I saw your post I was looking up the GLA Pro-1 regulator on their site. Does it really matter if the regulator is one or two stage with theirs? I'm pretty diligent with things and will probably switch tanks before they are close to empty.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have two grow regulators, one on a 150 gal and one on a 125 gal. They guarantee against EOTD. I run my tanks pretty darned low, and never had a dump, but did see a change in working pressure one time. It increased from 35 to 40 psi, but no alteration in co2 levels. PRO regs have a longer warranty, 6 years instead or 3.

There are also a few guys on this forum that build some custom, bad ass regs too, prolly for the price of a pro series reg. Make a post saying you wanna spend this much money and see if you get any hits.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I would be a little wary of trying to build something I have no experience with. In time with a little mechanical understanding and knowing how it should function building one seems like the most economical and cutiomizable option.

This is always a little bit hard to really say but it is also a very smart thing to say when we feel it. The time to say we're not sure is BEFORE we get way deep in alligators!
And then there is always the addictive nature of this game. You can see lots of folks who start out getting one CO2 setup and then discover they need several and with the added knowledge from the first set, they can build the second if they choose.

:smile2:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so I pulled the trigger, reloaded, and pulled it again. The GLA Gro regulator is ordered, and since I saved $50 by not getting the GLA Pro series I justified ordered the Finnex Planted 24/7 20"in light off amazon for $80. So I guess my tank will have to settle for a cheap Fluvial or Aquatek (can't remember what they sell) diffuser, drop checker, and silicone tubing from my LFS for a couple weeks. I'll post updates in due time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.