The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make my nursery 2.5g tank into a moss scape for some of my shrimps once my CPD fry is ready to move in with their parents. I been looking at some mesh at one of the hardware stores and they do not have any plastic, it's fiber glass or some kind of metal, I am not sure it's safe for fish, shrimp and snails. There is a pet safe mesh for screen doors but I'm not sure what it's made of. I tried the garden center but the mesh there is too big. I know there is some knitting mesh/grid but I didn't see any at my local craft store. I don't know why am I having such a dificult time finding it.
Were can I find some plastic mesh?
Please help
Thanks

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I will look for it at michael's.
Speedy that's what I'm looking for. :D I'll be going there on Friday hopefully I'll find some.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
I really don't like the kind of mesh they sell at michael's. Its extremely thick and theres not a lot of room to let the moss grow through. I use black plastic mesh thats sold at lowes/home depot, for use screening gutters. I was only able to find it in a HUGE roll, but its perfect for the task, and I've been able to use pieces of it for a variety of other things.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
What I've seen is typically a roll six inches by twenty feet for under $3.00.
Conveniently enough, after Christmas, packs of suction cups for decorations - that work unlike the dollar store brand - are 75% - 90% off. The stub on the back of these is a nice fit in the mesh.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I've seen is typically a roll six inches by twenty feet for under $3.00.
Conveniently enough, after Christmas, packs of suction cups for decorations - that work unlike the dollar store brand - are 75% - 90% off. The stub on the back of these is a nice fit in the mesh.
Were can I find this roll you speak of :) Michaels?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Use the plastic canvas for the back and netting for the front. You can sew in and out of the holes to hold the netting on to the plastic canvas. The moss grows well through the netting. Netting comes in all colors at the fabric store or you can get scrungies that women use for bathing. (It is just a big ball of nylon netting.) The neat thing is that you can get green that will just disappear under your moss.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Use the plastic canvas for the back and netting for the front. You can sew in and out of the holes to hold the netting on to the plastic canvas. The moss grows well through the netting. Netting comes in all colors at the fabric store or you can get scrungies that women use for bathing. (It is just a big ball of nylon netting.) The neat thing is that you can get green that will just disappear under your moss.
Thanks Tex Gal :)

I was thinking using plastic canvas for both sides, I got one that has a good size holes for moss to grow through, but I think I like your idea better :)
They also had green plastic canvas but the holes were smaller so I went with a big clear sheets. I actually might have some netting left over from me making moss rocks :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts