The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I'm running 2 x Eheim 2217s on a 180-gallon lightly planted tank (though high tech).

I think I stuffed it with too much filter floss that's clogging up the flow. When the flow is lowered, the turnover goes down and there's debris in the tank.

What are you guys putting in your canister filter in % terms? I'm running 30-40% filter floss with the rest being biomedia.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Using a Sunsun 603b canister.
First two layers of sponge - first the courser one and then finer sponge. This is about 50% of the volume.
Then 2 layers of bio media and then finally a very thin layer (< 5%) of filter floss.

Working great upto now

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm running around 1/3 Eheim 'tubes' in the bottom end , followed by 2 coarse sponges ( the blue ones ) , followed by a layer of Eheim 'balls' up to the canister's capacity . The loose media are in bags to permit easy cleaning . Got a 2215 and 4 2211's set up like this . Note that the loose media isn't really packed in , but has a bit of 'jiggle room' to allow for flow around each of the bits .

·
Registered
528 Posts
I notice some folks do it backwards, filtering through sponge or floss first. Water should flow through through the coarsest media to the finest.

For example:
1st stage: bio balls, larger rocks, or ceramic
2nd stage: finer stone, crushed lava rock, Seachem matrix, activated carbon, or Seachem purigen
3rd stage: sponge filters, floss (such as dual floss with a coarse and fine side)

I have two canisters on my tank:
Canister 1: (1) bio balls, (2) Seachem matrix, (3) sponge filter with floss on top
Canister 2: (1) ceramic, (2) activated carbon (eventually replaced with lava rock), (3) sponge filter with floss on top

I have no science to back it up but I would guess some bacteria likes certain media vs others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.