The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I post way to much..:) get used to it I am on vacation from now until Jan 2nd w00t.

Here what I am thinking to put in my sump, don't like the filter socks I am using now, mostly because my sump is too large and maint. is a pain. If I am making a mistake going away from them please tell me that as well.

I have drains on each side of my sump
Plan to put shelf in the sump with PVC and egg crate.
On the shelf will be coarse poret
On the bottom in that same area will be Bio media

Next chamber
More bio media

Next chamber
Polyester floss

Final chamber
Return pump

Should I change that? Only thing I really want to have to remove each month is the floss.

Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
heh, i have one and only one filter pad i replace once weekly. my over flow sponge gets rinsed out once weekly as well, i do both of those while my tank is refilling, i scrub my glass while its draining to remove bio film

tank's full so i duct tape my we/tdry section and on everything goes. process takes 10 minutes?

so for me less is better.....

a picture of my sump frm the manufacturers website u can see were the filter pad goes

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone else think the plan I have will work best for sump? Main thing is will allow me to get rid of the filter sock which I think will be better in the long wrong.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Plastic pot scrubbers, bath scrubbies, BBQ lava rock, anything cheap and in bulk. There is no way I could justify to myself to spend $200-300 to fill up a sump with bioballs when $30 in plastic pot scrubbers from the dollar store would do just as well.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plastic pot scrubbers, bath scrubbies, BBQ lava rock, anything cheap and in bulk. There is no way I could justify to myself to spend $200-300 to fill up a sump with bioballs when $30 in plastic pot scrubbers from the dollar store would do just as well.
I agree 100%, my main concern is do you think going the route I plan rather than using filter sock is OK?

·
Registered
926 Posts
I use a 4" piece of coarse poret foam, a 2" piece of med poret foam then a 2" piece of fine poret foam. That's it.
This is for my 75 gallon with 8 hatchetfish, 6 nearly adult angels, 8 cory and a whole slew of rcs that breed in the sump itself. I have had this sump running for several months and I rinsed the fine sheet of foam once when I was overfeeding.

I use a mag 5 for a return pump. I used a 9.5 for a while and thought about going back to it BUT if the flow is too fast then the 'stuff' breaks away from the media and ends up back in the tank.

-I think if you have tone down the flow of water through the filter media you will find you don't need to use floss or a filter sock.

If I was to do it again I would use the exact same setup but switch the medium and fine pieces to 4".

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
You will have to probably clean your poret foam if big chunks of food and poop and debris can make it's way down your overflows. Covering the overflows with sponge prevents this but then those sponges need to be cleaned. Depending on what you're keeping, at some point, some foam will need to be cleaned somewhere.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Well my plan only works if I don't overfeed. sometimes I get leaves or little bits of food on the sump but the shrimp make quick work of that. And poop that is just food for the bacteria.

My plan is to rinse either the fine or the med every three months and never rinse the coarse.

·
Registered
163 Posts
yup I agree I have used K1 Kaldness Hel-X and pot scrubbers and honestly the only difference is the price

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
amost sounds as if the best option then is to just keep the filter socks and order some more of them so I can switch out more often?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts