The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a planted high tech/light 50G in September. The last plants to respond were my Amazon Swords (narrow variety). They did nothing for months while stem plants, moss, etc.., all grew out and in fact I thought the swords had died as the other plants shrouded them out completely. I had been running somewhat lean nutrients due to overstock of Endlers but later, due to persistent GSA, decided to try higher macro nutrient concentrations more inline with what other folks report on here (like 20ppm+ of nitrates and 2-3ppm or so of Phosphates).

I'm not sure if this was the extra nutrients or they just needed time but suddenly my Swords took off. They not only got huge and grew to the top, they shot runners all over the tank and became invasive. Tearing out a bunch that had grown where it wasn't supposed to, I discovered that a painted turtle that winters with us in a 20G LOVES amazon sword. I was going to plant some in her tank since sword apparently doesn't need a substrate, but my turtle immediately ate it all. I've been feeding her my excess sword but now I am running out.

So I'm wondering what nutrient triggered such sudden and fast growth of it so I can set up a small tank to grow just sword for turtle food. When you read about Amazon sword, it always say no to low nutrients, like you are not even supposed to feed it. Anyone successfully farm it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Opposite, amazon sword loves lots of nutrients. Heavy root feeder and likes a little in water column as well. As soon as the blades start to yellow is the clue to add more root tabs. If I wanted to make a lot of it, probably make a tank with a base of one of the aquasoils, cap for neatness with a finer gravel or sand, root tabs at their base, good light, and a basic liquid fert on at least a weekly basis.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Honestly its easier to feed your turtle veggies then aquarium plants. But if you really wanted to farm aquarium plants I would do what greenhouses do and grow them emersed using sunlight. A tub filled with your soil of choice (normally wouldn't recommend dirt but you are planning to feed it to a turtle so... you can use dirt if you want) and then plant your swords so the green is out of water and the roots are in water. Cover it tightly with something transparent so humidity is kept in but light gets through.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.