The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if any1 can tell me why i have what looks like a oily resadue at the top of my rcs tank. i have 6 different kinds of plants in there. they are all low light plants. none of the plants have trouble growing, i have it on a 10 hour light cycle. im sorry but i do not know the name of the majority of the plants only 1's i know for sure is java moss and a moss ball. i also have a piece of malyasan drift wood in there, which has been rinsed and boiled several times to stop the water from changing color. my red cherry shrimp also have no problem spawning in the tank, i have quite a few of baby shrimp bouncing around. i was just wondering if any1 could tell me how to get rid of what looks like oily resadue. it goes away when i change the water every week but always comes back after a few days. i feed the shrimp 1/4 of an algae omega 1 disc every day. i also have a few assasin snails in there 2. thank you for any input

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Surface agitation is the only thing that works for me to get rid of it. You can use a bubbler or surface skimmer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I believe that the surface "slick" (for lack of a better word) is formed from proteins in the water. Deflection is right that increased agitation will help to prevent/break it up. Some people prefer to install skimmers that remove it from the surface.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
It's a protein film - probably mainly from the fish food - harmless, but good surface agitation should tend to keep it in check.

·
Registered
56 Posts
surface agitation is best long term but take a paper towel and quickly lay it on top of the water and pull out, 90% will be gone. it's especially great for beta bowls

·
Registered
362 Posts
This happens on any tank without a good amount of surface agitation. Okay for fish if a bit unsightly. With shrimp I consider it a sign that we need to increase o2 levels.

Sent from my Galaxy s3 using this Tapatalk thingy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts