The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a potted glosso plant thinking it was baby tears. It's in a 10gal with two 15watt light bulbs above it and plain sand as substrate. I want to keep this plant alive. I know it needs very high lighting. What lights would I need to keep it alive and how much do they cost, roughly?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
What kind of bulbs are they? How old are they and is just two 10g fixtures set on top of the tank?

If it's what the above is then I think it's barely enough to keep it alive.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of bulbs are they?
other than what I already stated I have no idea.

How old are they ?
old. don't know exactly. The lights were given to me with the aquarium by my relatives who got the tank from a garage sale. I don't think they are standard 10gal lights from a regular hood. They over lap the tank a little on each side. They're 15watts each. They are two individual fixures sitting on top of a peice of glass that seperates them from the tank.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Uh, pictures would help...but I'm guessing they're regular fluorescent fixtures.

For a 10 gallon tank, I'd get the 1x36w AHSupply retrofit kit. But that would require you to either buy a canopy or make on yourself.

I recently acquired a 2x36w Finnex fixture and it's great so far.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You need to separate the individual stems out of the big bunch you have planted together. Its a time consuming task.
I use my glass table in the basment, and break it apart. Put them out on the table one by one.
Plant them one by one. Helps them to spread.
I to have two 18' 15 watt bulbs over a 10 gallon but I have them overdriven x4, I think. I'm using an ADVANCED 4P32-SC ballast, having them wired in series. There is a thread here in the swap shop with the same ballast for sale for real cheap.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/41722-advance-ballasts-f-s-odno-time.html

Here's the thread that helped my out with my light project.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/21257-odno-measurements-power-consumption-vs-light.html

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You need to separate the individual stems out of the big bunch you have planted together. Its a time consuming task.
I use my glass table in the basment, and break it apart. Put them out on the table one by one.
I to have two 18' 15 watt bulbs over a 10 gallon but I have them overdriven x4, I think. I'm using an ADVANCED 4P32-SC ballast, having them wired in series. There is a thread here in the swap shop with the same ballast for sale for real cheap.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/41722-advance-ballasts-f-s-odno-time.html

Here's the thread that helped my out with my light project.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/21257-odno-measurements-power-consumption-vs-light.html

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much Painkeller. Those were very helpful, but now my head hurts.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! I didn't realize these needed to be planted individually. I'm very very new to aquatic plants.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yea I am also very new. But I purchased a pot of glosso just like yours, and went through the same procedure. I think the glosso is grown hydroponicly. Thats why its so vertical. Once you get more light it spreads horizontal very easy.
My head hurt to for a little while. Then I just went to lowes and bought a new ballast and gutted my 2 old fixtures like yours and used the end caps. made a crapy wood hood (temporary), and bam it's spreading all over the floor. Very low I might add. There is still a couple of subborn stems that like to stay up right, but most 90% is laying down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.