The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks! I'm gathering all of my equipment for my new planted tank but have a few questions on lighting(well 2).

I am getting ready to set up my 125g tank (72x23x18) and need some new bulbs. In my canopy I have 4 60" VHO Floursecent tubes standard size, but they were for my saltwater setup, so I need new ones. It will be planted (obviously) and I am going to do Co2, I just don't know when I'll have it pressurized. So, what bulbs should I get? Thank you in advance!

Adam

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I don't know much about VHO, so I'll leave it to someone else who does.

If you plan to have pressurized CO2 sometime, I'd aim for ~2.4 WPG total for the tank if possible. But I think that's already pre-determined for your existing VHO setup. How many watts is it?

HOWEVER, do you have two switches for your lighting system? This way, you can have ~1.2 WPG for a medium light tank for now until you upgrade to pressurized. Then you can use the 2nd set of lights for a high light tank.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 60" VHOs are 140 watts per bulb. So that would be 560 watts which would make 4.8ish watts per gallon. Maybe a little much. I'll put a switch in for sure. Maybe I'll do 2 6500k bulbs and 2 10,000k bulbs with one switch for each pair. We'll see.

Adam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.