The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have bought a new Aquarium (Oceanic BioCube - MainInterface11-new) 14 gallon one. But I have a question regarding the lighting.

The Aquarium is supposed to be for both Fresh water and salt water aquariums. I am creating a fresh water Aquarium though and therefor my question about the two fluorescent lamps.

There is 1 - 24 watt 10,000K and 1 - 24 watt True Actinic 03.
I really don't like what the 1-24 watt True Actinic 03 does to my Aquarium, it's to bright and all the beautiful colors just wash out. Can I change this to another type of Fluorescent light? - or do the plants need something that is in that spectrum? - also is the 10,000K something special I need?

I am thinking about swapping out the True Actinic 03 for another 10,000K.
What are your suggestions for a planted Aquarium to provide the best lighting for my plants.

Thanks!

·
Registered
467 Posts
both bulbs are probably designed for saltwater (10000k only has a blue spectral spike). you could probably keep the 10000k if you swapped the actinic for a plant oriented bulb. a good 6500k or 8000k bulb would look nice.

you could use the current bulbs, but the plants would grow slowly and a few types of algae would thrive.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I was looking at one of those as well. Can you comment on the fan noise from the unit? I'd like to find something very quiet for my desk, and quite fans and tanks lights don't often seem to go together. Any input?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
76 Posts
What I have learned..

Hello,

I have bought a new Aquarium (Oceanic BioCube - MainInterface11-new) 14 gallon one. But I have a question regarding the lighting.

The Aquarium is supposed to be for both Fresh water and salt water aquariums. I am creating a fresh water Aquarium though and therefor my question about the two fluorescent lamps.

There is 1 - 24 watt 10,000K and 1 - 24 watt True Actinic 03.
I really don't like what the 1-24 watt True Actinic 03 does to my Aquarium, it's to bright and all the beautiful colors just wash out. Can I change this to another type of Fluorescent light? - or do the plants need something that is in that spectrum? - also is the 10,000K something special I need?

I am thinking about swapping out the True Actinic 03 for another 10,000K.
What are your suggestions for a planted Aquarium to provide the best lighting for my plants.

Thanks!
What I have learned:
I have the 29 Gal BioCube. Although not the greatest tank for planted, it WILL work. The problem is plants like CO2 and the bioballs in the back areate the water full of oxegen; good for fish bad for plants. However, I have several plants in mine and most are doing OK. The hardier plants do better but plants like my fanwort, and ludugia ssps. stay green but don't grow much. I guess a CO2 injector would help but I think most would be wasted in the cycling process that goes on in the back of your tank. I got rid of the Actinic light and got another 10K. I use one light for 3 hours, both lights for 2 hours and back to one for three. It seems to work just fine. Just don't forget and leave both on overnight lest you become an algae farmer. :angryfire
Currently using this setup, I have hygro, fanwort, penneywort, ludugia spps, pondweed and val. amerc. The vals by the way grow GREAT (forgot about those). Another thing you might want to remember is the flow on the outlet is pretty high so don't plant the taller plants in front of it.
Hope this helps....Jason

·
Registered
76 Posts
oops

I was looking at one of those as well. Can you comment on the fan noise from the unit? I'd like to find something very quiet for my desk, and quite fans and tanks lights don't often seem to go together. Any input?

Thanks,

Tom
The fan on the 29 runs along with the light on the left switch but not with the one on the right. I have the tank right beside my desk and don't find the fan noise too distracting. On a good note, everyone in my office wants a biocube now. :red_mouth One of them has already bought one so they look good planted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We actually replaced the plastic biocube fan with the same size metal computer fan. MUCH quieter (our biocube fans got really loud over time).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts