The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a CHEAP light rig and all the infromation that ive read has left me confused, its no to incandesant and i need about 50watts over my 16x8x8 (?) it has to be 6700k what ever that is and it has to be a colour temperature
help?!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
problem is im in the uk and 50 watts because thats what my terrible maths worked out as the watts id need

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Need for what? High light plants?

The cheapest thing is probably two desk lamps with 26W CFs in them. That'd give you a total of 26 watts going into the tank...figuring in re-strike and inefficient reflectors.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm sounds like a good option, ill go to the local diy place and see what i can get idealy i need to know what im looking for but fingers crossed i should be lucky and see somthing lovely and cheap that will do the job im afraid im one of those terrible noobs that asks far too many questions :icon_roll
can you use standard bent aluminum to make a reflector or is it better to just paint the inside white?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
That's a lot of light over a 5g tank. Doable, but you may run into algae issues.

Beside that point, look for CF desk lamps. Here in the US we can get 28w 6700k lights for about $20-$25.

Other than that I don't what to tell you. That's a lot of light for a little bit of area, lighting options are limited. You "could" do a DIY 70w metal halide setup.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was only guessing at 50w it was simply that was working with a thread the recomended ALOT of light over a nano and what exacty does CF mean?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers, i went round the local hadware place and left even more confused what lumens are best for growth? and what about halogen lamps will these work as these are the only desk lamps i could find they where 25w didnt have a lumen or a kelvin rating im somewhat baffled as to what i should be looking for. why is lighting so difficult!?:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts