The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I currently have a 125 gallon discus tank that has a sand substrate. I will be making a canopy for it after the holidays and I am wondering what lights and how many should I put in. I do not want metal halide lights at all. The tank is 6 ft. long and 20 inches deep. About 4 feet of the tank will planted and the other area will be open. This will be a low tech with no c02. For a 20 inch depth, what kind of lighting would work. Heres a picture of the current set up. In this picture the light is brighter than it looks.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
We generally mean front to back distance when we use the word depth with an aquarium. The up and down dimension is usually referred to as height. Is your tank 20 inches high or 20 inches front to back? A 20 inch front to back dimension tank needs more than one row of bulbs above it to get adequate light at the front and back glass without having excessive light in the middle of the tank. A 20 inch high tank will have a bit too much light for a low light tank using a single T5HO mounted close to the top of the tank. T5NO would be more appropriate, but might be too little light unless two or more rows of bulbs are used. T8 would work fine if enough bulbs were used, but would use the most electric power to get the light.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
A multi-bulb T5 HO Fixture with individual switches for each bulb will give you flexibility should you change your layout. A light fixture is something you can buy only once if you make a good selection. So if you have the budget, keep that in mind. If you're building yor own canopy, look at DIY options...just keep those multi-bulb, multi-switches in mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.