The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Lighting Question

Hello love...

You have better than 2 watts of light per gallon of tank volume. My lighting book says 2 to 3 watts is in the medium light range. Lighting in this range will grow most of the aquatic plants on the market. Dose a couple of different ferts and you should have a nicely planted tank in no time.

B

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey B,

Thanks for the input. Just one more question for you. the light I have linked above says that the width of the fixture is 11 5/8inch, seeing as my tank will be 18.9 inches long, do you think that this light will have dead spots on the sides? If so, do you think I should go for the slightly larger version of this light? There is one that is 18 inches long and rated at 36 watts. So, it would about 3 watts per gallon and therefore still med light. What do you think? Do you think I should go for the bigger model, or do you think the smaller one is ok?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P.S. the larger one says it's recommended for 8-12 gallons, but I am not sure what level of tank they mean when they recommend. Is it ok for 8-12 gallon high tec tank? or is it ok for 8-12 medium tank. Wish they were more explicit on this point

·
Registered
733 Posts
good thread, im in a similar situation.

im currently using two jebo 13w clip ons with my 11.4g mr. aqua, doing a dry start to get the hc going. i have them mounted on the back wall of the tank, rotated at about 45 degree angles to maximize the spread of the light. the tank has only been set up for 1.5 weeks, with a 12hr photoperiod, and i've seen a little bit of growth so far.

im wondering if i should step up and get that 36w archaea?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
good thread, im in a similar situation.

im currently using two jebo 13w clip ons with my 11.4g mr. aqua, doing a dry start to get the hc going. i have them mounted on the back wall of the tank, rotated at about 45 degree angles to maximize the spread of the light. the tank has only been set up for 1.5 weeks, with a 12hr photoperiod, and i've seen a little bit of growth so far.

im wondering if i should step up and get that 36w archaea?
I wouldn't. 1.5 weeks is hardly enough time to get new root systems growing. Around 3-4 weeks you'll be able to see the growth clearly. It takes time to gain momentum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.