The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
What i would do is look into Build My Led. Given the fact that you have a skinny deep tank i would order one with either a 45deg. or 60deg. beam angle to insure you get that high par at the substrate. The only thing i would be worried about is if your plants grow to tall at the edges it may get no light. Also if you can order the adjustable dimmer for it to tone it back accordingly so that you won't need CO2. If you finally decide to go the high tech route you could just adjust it to full output.
+1 on that. I used RapidLed.com

·
Registered
251 Posts
For rapidled what I did is bought the solderless LEDs(really simple to connect) and the non-dimmable driver. All you need to do are connect the LEDs to the driver and the driver to a power chord (the driver comes with bare wire so you just have to use a wire but to connect the driver wire to the electric plug wires).
In your case I would get the proper optics so you focus your light down into the tank.
Also, I bought aluminum channel to mount my LEDs onto. It acts as a heatsink. If you have heatsinks lying around, even better.
If your willing to do a little DIY it is very economical. Also I like that I can take apart my fixture any time I want with the solderless LEDs.

For your tank I would guess it might cost $150

1 - 2 of 2 Posts