The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75g tank with the normal dimensions 48x18x21 and want make a planted tank low/med tech with a carpet of DHG and am wondering what fixture would be the best...As a side note, I plan to use eco-complete on the bottom and mix in ADA amazonia (I think) on top. I will not be dosing CO2 so I understand the time it'll take to grow the carpet. With that, the carpet wouldn't be the entire width, probbaly just the front half with driftwood, rocks and more hardy plants in the back.

1. Would I be able to get away with just 1 fixture? I've been research for about a month and just cannot decide what to get. I'm torn between a current sat pro plus, or maybe a finnex 24/7...thoughts on either? I like fixtures that I would be able to dim and just not turn on and off like the finnex planted+ (really dont want to attach a timer).

2. If I cannot get away with enough coverage with 1 fixture, which two would you recommend that do not break the bank? If I have to resort to two fixtures, I don't know which to get. Could I instead of two fixures run 4 CFI bulbs across the top of the tank? Will this make the fish look weird? (I know I'm losing my dimming capabilities)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think you're looking at two fixtures to cover a 75g, and two of either the 24/7 or Sat + Pro should do a pretty decent job.

Two 24/7s will lock you into their preset programming if you want to use the on board timer, and will probably get around 50-60 PAR at the substrate.

Two Sat + Pros give you a lot more flexibility with scheduling and programming different looks, and will probably get closer to 80-90 PAR at the substrate, but obviously will cost more,

I have heard that DHG doesn't need exceptionally high light, but I've never been able to get it to grow (not due to lack of light, I'm running about 75 PAR at substrate right now).

-Justin

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
I am currently running 2 fixtures on my 75g tank (see thread in signature). One is a Satellite Plus Pro and the other is a Satellite Plus. Both lights run 9 hours per day. Went with 2 fixtures because I could not get a decent amount of light front to back.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I have a 75g tank with the normal dimensions 48x18x21 and want make a planted tank low/med tech with a carpet of DHG and am wondering what fixture would be the best...As a side note, I plan to use eco-complete on the bottom and mix in ADA amazonia (I think) on top. I will not be dosing CO2 so I understand the time it'll take to grow the carpet. With that, the carpet wouldn't be the entire width, probbaly just the front half with driftwood, rocks and more hardy plants in the back.

1. Would I be able to get away with just 1 fixture? I've been research for about a month and just cannot decide what to get. I'm torn between a current sat pro plus, or maybe a finnex 24/7...thoughts on either? I like fixtures that I would be able to dim and just not turn on and off like the finnex planted+ (really dont want to attach a timer).

2. If I cannot get away with enough coverage with 1 fixture, which two would you recommend that do not break the bank? If I have to resort to two fixtures, I don't know which to get. Could I instead of two fixures run 4 CFI bulbs across the top of the tank? Will this make the fish look weird? (I know I'm losing my dimming capabilities)
Hi mac_attack,

For a low - medium light low tech tank I will give a +1 to Kareens' recommendation of the Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 over the Current Satellite + Pro. The Current Satellite + Pro fixtures have a 1 year warranty the Fluval F&P 2.0 has a three year warranty. The Current Satellite + Pro fixtures are not sealed, the Fluval F&P 2.0 fixture is fully sealed. The Current Satellite + Pro 48" models are a 30 watt fixture with a PAR rating of [email protected] at an 18 inch depth. The Fluval F&P 2.0 48" model is a 59 watt fixture with a PAR rating of [email protected] (medium/high light) at an 18" depth (it is adjustable down to about [email protected]) and it uses 120 degree lenses for good lighting front and back on my 75 gallon tank. (Actually I tried a 36" fixture that I purchased for another tank on my 75 gallon to get some PAR reading and see how it looked.)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi mac_attack,

For a low - medium light low tech tank I will give a +1 to Kareens' recommendation of the Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 over the Current Satellite + Pro. The Current Satellite + Pro fixtures have a 1 year warranty the Fluval F&P 2.0 has a three year warranty. The Current Satellite + Pro fixtures are not sealed, the Fluval F&P 2.0 fixture is fully sealed. The Current Satellite + Pro 48" models are a 30 watt fixture with a PAR rating of [email protected] at an 18 inch depth. The Fluval F&P 2.0 48" model is a 59 watt fixture with a PAR rating of [email protected] (medium/high light) at an 18" depth (it is adjustable down to about [email protected]) and it uses 120 degree lenses for good lighting front and back on my 75 gallon tank. (Actually I tried a 36" fixture that I purchased for another tank on my 75 gallon to get some PAR reading and see how it looked.)

Hope this helps!
Thank you for this. When I was at the LFS, they were pushing the Fluval 2.0 with the wifi attachment for your phone. I played around a little bit and just didnt like the button ( I heard a lot of issues with it )..If I do get the Fluval 2.0, will 1 48" fixture be enough for the 75gallon tank or would I still need 2? I really hate this idea of 2 fixtures just because of money. I just want to get the tank started

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi mac_attack,

For a low - medium light low tech tank I will give a +1 to Kareens' recommendation of the Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 over the Current Satellite + Pro. The Current Satellite + Pro fixtures have a 1 year warranty the Fluval F&P 2.0 has a three year warranty. The Current Satellite + Pro fixtures are not sealed, the Fluval F&P 2.0 fixture is fully sealed. The Current Satellite + Pro 48" models are a 30 watt fixture with a PAR rating of [email protected] at an 18 inch depth.
I had totally forgotten about the Fluval. I can't argue with the warranty being better, but you are quoting the specs for the Satellite +, not the Satellite + Pro. The 48" Satellite + Pro is a 60 watt fixture with 120 degree reflector that Current claims puts out 100+ PAR at 12". Cory at Aquarium Co-op recently tested the 24" model at around 70 PAR IIRC. Either way, the Satellite + Pro is in the same league as the Fluval, the Satellite + is not. My personal preference between the two would be the Satellite + Pro because the spectrum has more adjustability, but I am a bit of a tinkerer, which is why I didn't choose either of them and went DIY instead.

To the OP, a single light will cover the substrate if you don't have anything tall (tall plants) to shade it, but there will be distinct and noticeable zones near the top of the aquarium that are not well lit. If it was me, I would budget out the money to get two lights, but buy one to start, then decide how much of an issue it was for me once I get the one light on, and buy a second if I decided I needed it. You can also always use a single nicer light (like the Fluval 2.0 or Satellite + Pro) as your main light, and get a second, less capable light to fill in the shadows (like a finnex 24/7 or maybe even a Stingray)

-Justin

-Justin

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi mac_attack,

First, I apologize....I see you are new to the forum and I did not welcome you.....glad you are here!

Will just one fixture allow you to grow Eleocharis species (i.e. dwarf hairgrass) in your 75 gallon without CO2.....possibly if it has a high enough PAR rating. I found that Eleocharis species can more more light than folks think sometimes. Certainly a fixture with [email protected] at an 18" depth has a much, much better chance of growing Eleocharis than a fixture with [email protected] at an 18" depth. One way to look at this is a Fluval F&P 2.0 gives you more than 2X (almost 3X) the light of the Current Satellite + Pro. I believe that Ken's Fish is still running a special on Fluval equipment right now with 15% off (Coupon Code: fluval ), Free Shipping over $49, and no sales tax. The 48" - 60" fixture is $185.99 regular price / $158.10 discounted. I purchased my 36" fixture there three weeks ago.

Yes, getting used to the 'touch' button on the Fluval F&P 2.0 took a little getting used to (it's a 'touch' button - not a 'push' button) but I run my fixtures on a timer so once I had it adjusted I didn't have to mess with it anymore. I did not get it with the 'Wi-Fi" option.

Hi All,

jrygel (Justin) is correct, I was looking at the Satellite Plus for the PAR and wattage numbers. I found the 60 watt rating for the fixture but was unable to find any documentation for the [email protected]" for the Satellite + Pro. I did find that the price for the 48" unit is regularly $288 on sale currently at $230.39.

@jrygel Glad to see you are still doing plants!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.