The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what language people took at school and what languages were offered I currently take Latin, but was thinking of learning another language I could Actualy speak and would be useful so what I wanted to know was:

What language did you take in school
what languages were available

I take Latin and my school offers French, German, Hebrew, Japanese, Chinese Spanish and Latin

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Wow! I am not the only person to take latin!

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
I've been taking spanish since i was in the first grade, and i'm currently a freshman in high school.

My school offers Spanish, Latin, Mandarin and French.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been taking spanish since i was in the first grade, and i'm currently a freshman in high school.

My school offers Spanish, Latin, Mandarin and French.
First grade Really?
at my grade school, Sunset Ridge, we started in 5th grade but I sorta failed out/ was excused by my parents. which is funny because my mom was a spainish teacher :hihi:. also because I'm not a dumb kid, I just couldn't figure the lanquge out :icon_roll.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I took 3 years of Japanese. I was gonna take a 4th year this school year (senior year), but I had schedule conflicts.

My school offers Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, and French.

·
Registered
67 Posts
oh cool. i took spanish in highschool, out of spanish, german and french. i got to spanish 4 in junior year. however in middle school, i started to learn latin and spanish in 7th grade, and greek in 9th

·
Registered
397 Posts
Took french for 5 years in school.

Q'uest ce que c'est?

C'est une "blank - blank"

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Took Japanese all 4 years back in highschool. 3 years have past and I've forgotten everything I have learned.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took french for 5 years in school.

Q'uest ce que c'est?

C'est une "blank - blank"
well I'm off to google translator ... whats this it is a

right ?

well I am now more confused by English than latin on my home work " at the end came the saying ab ovo ad mala (from eggs to apples) - like our 'from soup to nuts.' " what does from soup to nuts mean ??????

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I took two years of latin in high school, and 4 years of spanish. Then I took 2 semesters of spanish in college. I can speak a fair amount of Spanish thanks to my time in CA. A romance language and latin is obviously complimentary, but there's no life value in French of Italian if you are an American, save for a vacation.

The language that would be the most valuable, but probably not well taught, would be Mandarin.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took two years of latin in high school, and 4 years of spanish. Then I took 2 semesters of spanish in college. I can speak a fair amount of Spanish thanks to my time in CA. A romance language and latin is obviously complimentary, but there's no life value in French of Italian if you are an American, save for a vacation.

The language that would be the most valuable, but probably not well taught, would be Mandarin.
I doubt it is taught poorly considering that the lowest level class at New Trier is

a level 2 which is described as college prep
Level 3 is accelerated
level 4 is honors
we are rated among the top the top schools in the country by US news http://www.usnews.com/listings/high-schools/illinois/new_trier_township_high_school_winnetka

its a very very good school
sorry I just freaked out a little I just like my school LOL

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I doubt it is taught poorly considering that the lowest level class at New Trier is

a level 2 which is described as college prep
Level 3 is accelerated
level 4 is honors
we are rated among the top the top schools in the country by US news http://www.usnews.com/listings/high-schools/illinois/new_trier_township_high_school_winnetka

its a very very good school
sorry I just freaked out a little I just like my school LOL
Here is my unsolicited advice to you: Do not think for one second that anyone anywhere will care about the quality of your high school, as ranked by US News. It is something you should be proud of, because you and your classmates are what make those numbers, but it will not be of any benefit to you. Only you and what you learn will be of any benefit. If you happen to have gone to a good high school, it's probably best to keep that tucked in your pocket. When you get to college, nobody will be impressed by your test scores if you've already done it in high school. I'm speaking from experience, take my advice as you will.

With that said, we in the US are very bad at teaching Mandarin. I still think you should take it, and that there is no option that competes with it. If the teacher(s) isn't Chinese, I might consider skipping it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My high school only offered 'Mexican' Spanish. It was an area where Hispanics were the majority (even though my high school was all white, there was a lot of racism in that school and anyone not white left after a semester or so!) and most didn't speak English as a first language, so I pretty much grew up with the language anyway. I have since found that I can hardly communicate with anyone from Spain because their Spanish is way different than that spoken in Mexico. Like British and American English, I guess. I'm not fluent, but I do ok. I also learned a little bit of Latin and Greek on my own.

I didn't take any foreign languages in college since I passed a Spanish test and got credit for that.

I am learning Hebrew right now on my own. I tried that Rosetta Stone program and it didn't work for me. I bought a bunch of used textbooks instead, and I'm getting there slowly.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I took 3 years of Spanish during high school and didn't learn a whole lot. I learned a lot more in 2 months at the MTC for anyone who knows that that is. I really didn't become fluent until I lived in Chile for 2 years.

I went to a small high school that only offered Spanish. But they did have a video conferencing class for about 2 students that were studying Japanese.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts