The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a tank build going for my nano planted tank I am working on and have a few questions on what kind of water to use. It's only a 3 gallon tank and I plan on having a carpet plant like glosso or HC and maybe some taller stuff in the back. Plan on using Flourite black sand for substrate. It's only a 3 gallon tank and I plan on using excel instead of CO2. Coming from a salt water background RO/DI is what you need to use but in fresh water it looks like that's not always the case. I tested water from 4 different sources and am wondering what would be the best to use. I have my own well and use a water softener with Rust Remover salt. Here are the results:

Straight from Well: TDS - 373 ppm
GH - 21 dkh
KH - 23 dkh
PH - 7.8

After water softener: TDS - 378 ppm
GH - 4 dkh
KH - 27 dkh
PH - 7.8

Reverse Osmosis: TDS - 27 ppm
GH - 3 dkh
KH - 3 dkh
PH - Less than 7.4 (more yellow than 7.4 on API)

RO/DI : TDS - 1 ppm
GH - 1 dkh
KH - 1 dkh
PH - Less than 7.4 again

I bought some Kent Marine Liquid R/O Right that makes RO/DI water better to use but not sure if that's the route to go. Also, since I am on my own well, I don't need to use anything like Prime do I? Thanks in advance for the help. Otto

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
RO would be just fine. The DI isn't necessary IMO. On the bright side, you are only using enough for a 3g so even if you threw the waste water away, you aren't using THAT much water.

I currently use my waste water for my cichlid tanks. Afterall, it comes out cleaner than it went in!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I was kind of leaning towards that way since I figured my well was pretty bad. Just waiting for the sand to come in and then the tanks getting filled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.