The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the final stages of prep for a 110 gallon, 30 inch tall, aquarium. I want it to be a community low-tech aquascape, heavily planted but no CO2 - low-tech/Walstad style. The advisor I've been working with at a local shop steered me towards the fluval 407 instead of the fx4 given the size of my tank (and shorter stand). Since the 407 is rated at 50-100 gallons I thought I could get away with 1. I have a custom stand that has spots for two 407s - the thought was having redundancy and more control over flow. Any recommendations/thoughts?

·
Registered
369 Posts
IMO 2 times filtration on a walstad/ dirt tank that size would be my recommendation. You won't need the heavy filtration and flow that high tech tanks need but the start up on a walstad can be kind of hairy at first and having the extra biological filtration while your start up is happening can help a lot with the speed of cycling and afford you some leeway should something go wrong with your cap. That's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Oh- and after your initial set up "filtration" can be switched over to just a powerhead for flow if you're doing a true walstad tank. I love her book, lots of awesome info!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts