The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
I don't know the about the eyes, but my amanos get that dark against driftwood and their back stripe is visible like that.

Where did you get the shrimp from?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Have never seen them harm a single living thing. They get nervous in new environments, so will give a warning poke with a sharp leg if they feel threatened by their new tankmates; but will calm down with time, tolerating jostling by cories and loaches, or a human trying to pull out a plant but grabbing a shrimp instead. :)

They are filter feeders, and prefer to catch small particles in their fans from moving water. High current areas are the best for this, so it's common to find one hanging upside down from your filter outflow, or some similarly odd location. But our tanks tend to be cleaner than a natural environment, so they'll resort to picking up food and detritus from the substrate and other surfaces if they're hungry. If there's any question whether they're getting enough to eat, dissolve a bit of algae chip in some water, and use an eyedropper to squirt a few drops into their fans while they're filter feeding, twice a week. This seems to help mine, and they got quite large.

Oh, and they molt. Don't panic if you think you see a dead one. It may be just an empty shell, with the actual shrimp elsewhere. I saw it happen once. It was sitting on a leaf, and literally in the blink of an eye, it jumped right out of its old shell; looking like it duplicated itself!

·
Registered
142 Posts
interesting, i have a cherry that looks exactly like that. she is a big female, full red, and on her back, is a light "dusty" looking stripe. like a pale patch on her shell from head to tail.
i will try to snap a picture of her tonight.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
that looks like a wild shrimp from the babaulti complex to me. Unless it has giant fanned hands, its not a bamboo. Alot of the shrimp called "babaulti" have those broad bands down their back. Here is a picture of a bamboo:

Here is a babaulti (var. malaya)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Are we sure its not a black cherry? I was reading an old topic on this forum about them the other day. They are just like wild cherry shrimp. They also call them rainbow shrimp. I got one as well. Not sure how I'll get it to reproduce. Havent seen it saddled at all.

I'm very interested in this shrimp. Looking for some more info.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm seeing it called a neocardinia in another thread and a cardinia in this one. Common names I'm seeing are black cherry, rainbow, chocolate.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm also now confused as to where they come from. I read in the thread in the forum from 2006 many different things. One guy said they are all over their rivers in hawaii, then others said their yellow shrimp created them and lastly I heard that they came from cherry shrimp. The thread concluded that this is what cherry's look like in the wild and after many generations of interbreeding they get back to their wild color. They do change colors and the conclusion was that they do this to blend into their enviroment. Mine has been completely black all over, completely blood red with a very dark yellow line down his back, completely grey, and last is the color pattern that we see here and in the picture I am posting. I wonder where they come from exactly? This is mine:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts