The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just noticed a snail (I think?) in my tank. There is nothing in my fishless cycling tank so I'm guessing it came from one of the plants I bought. Can someone tell me what kind of snail this is and if it's a hermaphrodite? I guess I wouldn't mind 1 snail but I don't really like them and the thought of many of these things grosses me out.. Thanks

Btw it's a little transparent looking, and for reference it's very small ~0.5 cms across

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yup it looks like that. I removed it from the tank I hope it didn't lay eggs already.

Is it naive to think if I removed this one, there won't be anymore of his "siblings" ? I don't mean any more snails at all, but at least no more from the cluster of eggs this little guy came from?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok.. i guess i'll have to live with them. on the bright side I just started getting my first runners ever so I'm pretty stoked about that! injecting co2 makes a world of difference :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love snails. If you get some assassin snails you can have a decorative snails that will eliminate the others and they reproduce a lot slower and people will usually want your extras

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Where there's one there is more. They really aren't a problem though. If you want them gone borrow a loach for a week or two.
+1. loaches are the ultimate snail control. I put one yo yo in my tank and within a week all the snails were gone. haven't seen any since. only down side is the little SOB's keep digging up my DHG. oh well, I can live with that in exchange for some very pretty and entertaining fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.