The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the summer we picked up a fully stocked tank from CL for my son. In it were three huge shrimp. I have no idea what they were but I would say at least three inches and they were very active and outgoing. Unfortunately, and we are not totally sure what happened (oh the joys of fish keeping) one night we came up to a fully dead tank (we had one cory cat survive barely). I am getting ready to restart the tank fresh (and planted) and would LOVE to know what kind of shrimp these were.

I googled images for Amano shrimp, and while they were similar, the werent quite right. Maybe I am getting pics of younger not full grown amanos coming up? Is there another shrimp that is similar? I know they werent wood shrimp as they didnt have the fans.

Thanks in advance. My son really loved those shrimp so it would be awesome to be able to replace them. Also, with their size, I could keep a bit bigger fish in there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bamboo shrimp (also known as flower shrimp in some places) can grow pretty large and are peaceful as they are filter feeders. If your old shrimp did not have front claws and instead had "fans" they were probably these guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts