The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have successfully been breeding cherry shrimp for a few months now. I would like to add a few more kinds of shrimp to the tank. Obviously I would need something in the Cards family. I use 100% RO water, the GH/KH usually hangs around 6 and TDS 130-200. What are some easier shrimp that would make a good combo?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
What's your pH and temperature?
Just curious what you are using to remineralize the water.

Tiger shrimp, of the Caridina genus, often work good with Neocaridinas. Most of the other common Caridinas need softer acidic water so they aren't really a good combo with Neos. Tigers (whichever color) are your best bet. Tangerine tigers are cheaper, breed more true and are easier to keep. But a lot of people like Blue Tigers (OEBT - Orange Eyed Blue Tigers).

Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee
Tangerine Tiger Shrimp .:. Caridina Serrata .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Species Information Page
Blue Tiger Shrimp .:. Caridina cantonensis sp. "Blue Tiger" .:. Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp Species Information Page

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To reconstitute I use a blend of CaSo4 and MgSo4. The tank ph is around 6.5-6.6. I was considering a type of tiger shrimp. I'd like something a bit more colorful.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Your pH is low enough to put crystals in, IMO. You could also do OEBT, but I hear that temperatures above 70-ish increase the risk of bacterial infection.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I am between a lighter variation of a blue tiger and a regular tiger shrimp. I think these are both generally easy to keep with the RCS and will be fine with the water that I have. Love to get a few more thoughts.... Also if you have any for sale shoot me a message!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
GH and KH are both 6?
You sure your pH is still 6.5 after remineralizing?

Are you injecting co2?

A bit higher pH would be a bit more better for Neos and Tigers.

But yes, the way it is now, Neos and Tigers still should work.
Don't know your temperature though.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Ahh, that's why your pH is lower. What's your pH normally at when the co2 if off gassed? (after remineralized, but no co2)
Just more of a curious question.

If the Neos are doing fine at the 6.5 pH, the Tigers should be fine with it as well. Though the pH is less of an important parameter than the others, especially if the pH was adjusted by co2 (co2 concentration levels on livestock is another story though).

Since it's a co2 injected tank, I would recommend slowly drip acclimating the Tigers (not just for pH difference, but to adjust to higher co2 levels)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts