The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I bought 3 shrimps from a LFS sort of on an impulse.. They were sold as orange bees. From what I can tell orange bees are Caridina propinqua... I'm assuming these won't breed with CRS or in fresh water?

Also, these shrimps came in different shades from bright yellow, to yellow-tangerine, to reddish orange (almost cherry). Are they all the same species? I have pictures of the yellow and the tangerine one -- the other is hiding -- by themselves and with a cherry for comparison.

Shrimp 1:

Shrimp 2:

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
It looks to me like you got 3 different shrimp, to be honest. None of which will hybridize with CRS. It looks like you got a cherry shrimp (the red one), a propinqua, the orange one, and possibly a babaulti (the yellow, is it a lime green/yellow?)

YOu can see how they have different toplines, profiles, and rostrum shapes.

Also, did you mean RCS or CRS? The last pic clearly has a male RCS and possibly a berried female. The other could be a propinqua.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Thats the problem with LFS. They keep them in a one tank, at least around me. They have crystal, yellow, red, orange sunkist, and some other ones that I got before that I could never identify and ended in my roomies tank.

Half my so-called yellowed from there went clear or wild colors and with many different neos in there, any babies that make it before sold are almost sure to come out wild. They went to my roomies tank as well. Got the rest of my shrimp from local and not so local breeders.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The "orange" looking baby is just a low grade cherry. I had bought some cherries from the local fish store and I get these come out every now and then. Sometimes they grow to be dark(er) red like the cherriers, and sometimes they stay that clear red colour. Almost like a crappy rilli.

I usually just toss them in my dads 45G tetra tank and they usually disapear. I imagine one day they will start showing up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks to me like you got 3 different shrimp, to be honest. None of which will hybridize with CRS. It looks like you got a cherry shrimp (the red one), a propinqua, the orange one, and possibly a babaulti (the yellow, is it a lime green/yellow?)

YOu can see how they have different toplines, profiles, and rostrum shapes.

Also, did you mean RCS or CRS? The last pic clearly has a male RCS and possibly a berried female. The other could be a propinqua.
I figured if they were C. propinqua there's no way they'd breed with RCS.. I do have some CRS in another tank, which I'm guessing don't crossbreed with these either?

The yellow one is kind of highlighter/bright yellow, though as far as I can tell not green. Babaulti? Yikes... Wish I had "tester" males.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
that orange one is a c. propinqua (actually there's another scientific name right now I haven't memorized, same dif tho), and you're correct, it's larvae need brackish water to develop. and it wont breed with anything

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
The first one I would say could be a yellow shrimp and the second, a orange sunkist. My LFS sells Orange Sunkist as Orange Bee's as well, meanwhile the orange bee is the original cardina shrimp in the hobby.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All right, it looks like shrimp #2 is a Sunkist/Propinqua. She's got nice eggs, too bad she won't breed :-/

I guess we'll find out if #1 is yellow if she breeds with the cherries. Thanks for the help everybody!

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
the first one looks like the rostrum is wrong to me for neocaridina, which is why i guessed caridina cf. babaulti. Its more straight through the topline and a bit elongated. Neos generally have a slight divet and a more dipped topline. I could easily be wrong :) They are becomign more available on wholesale lists though so its a possibility for sure.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
All right, it looks like shrimp #2 is a Sunkist/Propinqua. She's got nice eggs, too bad she won't breed :-/

I guess we'll find out if #1 is yellow if she breeds with the cherries. Thanks for the help everybody!
You don't want it to breed with the cherries do you? They will produce wild color brown/clear shrimp and ruin any chances of you to have breed them in the future.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I'd have to isolate her to an extra 2.5G I have if she were to become berried... Maybe that will be an excuse to start a yellow shrimp colony :p
If she were to become berried, it was because of a cherry shrimp and those offspring are going to be brown clear mutts and won't be able to be bred with any yellows in the future.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: shrimp #1 was a Neocaridina after all. I just found her berried with some yellow and some brown eggs... I moved her to a different tank. The babies will be mutts... but I imagine it would be possible to back-cross them to the mom to get some yellow back?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
That actually depends. It could be brown, or it could be cherry.

It all depends on if the color morph is a mutation of a cherry or a wild type neo.

If it was a mutation of a cherry shrimp (ie. 2 cherries got it on and a random yellow popped out and was bred), it may revert to cherry shrimp. If it was a mutation of a wild type (2 wild types threw down and popped out a yellow and was bred), it will be wild type coloration.

At least that's what I've seen with another color morph.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.