The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lfs sold this out of their display tank and the salesperson called it Eusteralis stellata? Is it really? cause I've seen some other members naming it in their tank as Limnophia ??? and it looks exactlly like their's. The guys @the lfs seem to talk like they know their stuff but now I'm really wondering how good they are? Could anyone help me out?

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crumble the leaf? What will it smell like?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
That's the same as the plant I bought labeled as "stellata". IDK for sure if it is, but it does not smell.
Tommy

·
Registered
623 Posts
Limnophila aromatica is used in food yes but i believe only when its growing out of the water.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
That's the same as the plant I bought labeled as "stellata". IDK for sure if it is, but it does not smell.
Tommy
Stellata looks a lot like L aromatica....the best way to distinguish is the smell test~

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought there was less space between the nodes on L. aromatica than on A. stellata. Maybe it's just a matter of conditions?

Tommy

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Well, I just did a sniff test. There's definitely an odor. Not offensive, not "planty" like stuff from the tank usually smells. The odor diminishes quickly and is not real strong. I guess I have L. aromatica afterall.

I just always assumed that since there was no odor when I pruned it was A. stellata.

Tommy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe that plant is Limnophila aromatica. You can crumble up a leaf and smell it to be sure.

I crumbled couple of leaves and it has a smell,I guess a have limnophia aromatica? I will talk to the guys when I go to the lfs next time. Anyone in Hawaii? I went to Petland Kahala.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I believe that plant is Limnophila aromatica. You can crumble up a leaf and smell it to be sure.

I crumbled couple of leaves and it has a smell,I guess a have limnophia aromatica? I will talk to the guys when I go to the lfs next time. Anyone in Hawaii? I went to Petland Kahala.
rnakas,

i bought a couple of bunches from petland kahala just about 2 months ago. i'm not so sure if it is in fact l. aromatica, but a closely related species. all new growth is the same as the emersed form, with the serrated leaf edges and internodal length of .5". i've yet to see it resemble any of the pictures online. i've crushed the leaves and it smells like my favorite pho place :D

i had a stem that broke the water surface, it turned a very dark purple (still serrated), it was stiff. after i planted the top it turned back to green serrated, and has long internodal lengths.

im running 2.4watts/gal (8.5 hr photoperiod), pressurized co2, ei dosing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rnakas,

i bought a couple of bunches from petland kahala just about 2 months ago. i'm not so sure if it is in fact l. aromatica, but a closely related species. all new growth is the same as the emersed form, with the serrated leaf edges and internodal length of .5". i've yet to see it resemble any of the pictures online. i've crushed the leaves and it smells like my favorite pho place :D

i had a stem that broke the water surface, it turned a very dark purple (still serrated), it was stiff. after i planted the top it turned back to green serrated, and has long internodal lengths.

im running 2.4watts/gal (8.5 hr photoperiod), pressurized co2, ei dosing.
Milesm,

Does your plant grow quickly.It seems like my plant grows so slow. I go to petland Kahala because (IMO) think they have a better selection of plants. I also go to Modern pet alot during my saltwater days. Also Kahala petland has that awesome looking tank.I had the exact tank when I first started but it started to leak,couldn't find another one like it 36"*16"*15" so I went with a 30gal so I wouldn't have to buy a new stand and lights. Do you know of any other good places to buy plants and stuff from. Nice to know there's others from Oahu on this forum. Thanks again!

Aloha,Rick

·
Registered
711 Posts
Milesm,

Does your plant grow quickly.It seems like my plant grows so slow. I go to petland Kahala because (IMO) think they have a better selection of plants. I also go to Modern pet alot during my saltwater days. Also Kahala petland has that awesome looking tank.I had the exact tank when I first started but it started to leak,couldn't find another one like it 36"*16"*15" so I went with a 30gal so I wouldn't have to buy a new stand and lights. Do you know of any other good places to buy plants and stuff from. Nice to know there's others from Oahu on this forum. Thanks again!

Aloha,Rick
howzit Rick,

my l aromatica grow quickly, about 1" every 2 days. the plants appear to be turning into the submersed form, the nodes are getting shorter and the leaves are turning light purple/red, but still has the serrated leaf edges. the leaves have become slimmer and more pointed.

i also think pl kahala has a good selection of plants, at decent prices. the kalihi pet center has even a better selection of plants, but they seem to be a bit overpriced (eg selling r macrandra sp? for $5 - $6 bunch, compared to $3 at pl.), but they do have more esoteric stuff that pl doesn't.

i guess you could get some stuff from honolulu aquarium society members as well.

too bad you lost your tank, that's an excellent footprint; deep (front to back) enough to do some real nice scaping.

i have two 30 gal, one salt, other planted, but i'll have to tear them down cuz im moving :icon_cry:

i'll probably want to sell some plants (anubias/java fern on driftwood) and my marine tank with lights (96 watt custom sea life) and skimmer. if you know of someone interested, pm me. im moving out at the end of april.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts