The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around to try and see if anyone is using LED fixtures, and if so what kind they are using. I have only been finding the finnex and marineland LED's, is that all anyone on here uses?

I have my lights already, I was just wanting to see what kind of experience people had with LED's and planted tanks and see some pictures of their tanks. I'm making the switch over from T5HO to LED this week to get away from replacing bulbs. So I bought a new full spectrum evergrow LED for my reef tank and moving my existing blue/white only LED's over to the planted tank.

I'm guessing that this light is going to be OVERKILL for growing plants if people are using marineland fixtures successfully because my research has suggested they aren't adequate for corals, so trying to get a "feel good" before I move my LED fixture over to the planted tank... probably just have to set the dimmers all the way down would be my guess?

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I've been looking around to try and see if anyone is using LED fixtures, and if so what kind they are using. I have only been finding the finnex and marineland LED's, is that all anyone on here uses?

I have my lights already, I was just wanting to see what kind of experience people had with LED's and planted tanks and see some pictures of their tanks. I'm making the switch over from T5HO to LED this week to get away from replacing bulbs. So I bought a new full spectrum evergrow LED for my reef tank and moving my existing blue/white only LED's over to the planted tank.

I'm guessing that this light is going to be OVERKILL for growing plants if people are using marineland fixtures successfully because my research has suggested they aren't adequate for corals, so trying to get a "feel good" before I move my LED fixture over to the planted tank... probably just have to set the dimmers all the way down would be my guess?
I make my own..

Finnex, Beamswork, Current, and Buildmyled.... are probably "the" most popular.. besides DIY.. :)

Define your blue/white light.. Most likely you would only need to dim the blue.. mostly for "look" though that is a personal choice..

Reef lighting is only "overkill" in regards to how much you want to fight algae, or futz over nutrients or don't like continual pruning.. .. ;)
Vid of modified reef lighting..
http://youtu.be/lkq9rr8NQtc

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
whats the light on this tank consist of? How many LED's/what wattage/what type?
It's complicated.. Basically 20W (10W chips) 660nm red.. 30w (10w chips, 2:1 w/b)/ actinic blue/white hybrid and 15w (1w chips) warm white..
It is an experiment using mega chips ... and has some toning issues but it is also 3 channel dimmable.. Over a 40B

The point was it was a simple setup and has/had good results .. despite me........... ;)

I have changed the WW to "neutral white (6500k) but to be honest.. I'm shifting back in a new build to add ww..

·
Registered
197 Posts
I decided that I don't want to have to keep replacing T5's year after year so I've been trying out a few LED's. Started with the Finnex Fugeray (before they released the planted+). Didn't love the color spectrum. Switched it out for a Current USA Satellite+ and the features are cool and lets you get the change the color to what you want. Recently bought some Kessil A150 Amazon Sun's off a buddy who was switching to saltwater and I really love the look. A lot of people aren't into the shimmer effect but for some reason it just does it for me. Other than those brands there is marineland like you mentioned, which I have never seen in person, and BML. I'd say that covers most of what people are using if they don't build their own like jeffkrol.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I use the marineland aquatic plant LED system, ordered it through drsfostersmith.com

Im a huge fan of marineland, I don't think this is the best out there by any means but I am happy, I own a marineland singlebright, a marineland double bright and two marineland aquatic plant LED systems. great company, quality products from my experience.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I use the marineland aquatic plant LED system, ordered it through drsfostersmith.com

Im a huge fan of marineland, I don't think this is the best out there by any means but I am happy, I own a marineland singlebright, a marineland double bright and two marineland aquatic plant LED systems. great company, quality products from my experience.
Ditto to your comments. I too use a Marineland Aquatic Plant light with the built in timer. Love it! Also have Marineland Double Brights on tanks downstairs and a Marineland Single Bright on my quarantine tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.