The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a goby that was labeled as the Golden Stripe Goby. However, I could not find any information on it despite using the name given by the aquarium store.

Anyone know what this goby is called?

Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I don't know the name, but I used to have one. It might be a bit picky, so you'll definitely want to have some frozen food on hand when trying to get it to eat. Very peaceful fish, but I wouldn't trust it with anything tiny, as its mouth is actually quite large.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the name, but I used to have one. It might be a bit picky, so you'll definitely want to have some frozen food on hand when trying to get it to eat. Very peaceful fish, but I wouldn't trust it with anything tiny, as its mouth is actually quite large.
Do you know how big it gets? Mine have started eating literally right after acclimation and so I got really lucky from the sound of it.

I hope someone knows the name so that I can look up info about it.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Mine got about 2" long.
However, I've just googled "lake goby" in an attempt to remember what mine was called (lake T____ goby, don't remember the rest), and I've just realized that your fish up there looks a lot like the Round Goby, an invasive species that gets rather large and poses a serious ecological threat to any bodies of water it's introduced to, including the Great Lakes. You'll want to find out if it's legal to keep them where you are, and if it's legal to keep them, don't let their invasive status stop you- they're an interesting fish, and there's nothing inherently wrong with them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine got about 2" long.
However, I've just googled "lake goby" in an attempt to remember what mine was called (lake T____ goby, don't remember the rest), and I've just realized that your fish up there looks a lot like the Round Goby, an invasive species that gets rather large and poses a serious ecological threat to any bodies of water it's introduced to, including the Great Lakes. You'll want to find out if it's legal to keep them where you are, and if it's legal to keep them, don't let their invasive status stop you- they're an interesting fish, and there's nothing inherently wrong with them.

Whoa! I hope it is not a Round Goby. If it is, I am taking it back to the aquarium store.....

Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Looks like it is for sure a Mugilogobius species.
BRACKISH gobies. They may tolerate freshwater for quite some time, but for them to have their longest lifespan and best health, they should be kept in appropriate brackish conditions. Find out more info of the salinity of their respective natural areas.

Gobies are one of my favorite fish. I've never even seen one of this genus in person. So that's a cool find! Take care of it!

Perhaps Mugilogobius chulae. Or maybe M. wilsoni? M. tigrinus has bolder tiger stripes. Quite a few that have similar tiger stripes and black dot on dorsal with white edged fins.
My knowledge on that genus is very limited though.

Take a look at some images of that genus and see what species most resembles that one. Give your goby some time to settle in and maybe color up. But most of that genus care requirements should be relatively the same.
Finding out the location it was collected from may better pin point the exact species. Find out what fish group it came as a contaminant in, to narrow down what region of the world it came from.

Here is a little goby database if you want to take a look for comparisons
https://www.kahaku.go.jp/research/db/zoology/Fishes_of_Andaman_Sea/contents/gobiidae/top.html

Some info (use translator)
???????????????? Species Index | ???????????????????????????????????????????????? : Mugilogobius chulae
???????????????? Species Index | ???????????????????????????????????????????????? : Mugilogobius tigrinus

Mugilogobius database
http://www.fishbase.org/identification/SpeciesList.php?genus=Mugilogobius

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like it is for sure a Mugilogobius species.
BRACKISH gobies. They may tolerate freshwater for quite some time, but for them to have their longest lifespan and best health, they should be kept in appropriate brackish conditions. Find out more info of the salinity of their respective natural areas.

Gobies are one of my favorite fish. I've never even seen one of this genus in person. So that's a cool find! Take care of it!

Perhaps Mugilogobius chulae. Or maybe M. wilsoni? M. tigrinus has bolder tiger stripes. Quite a few that have similar tiger stripes and black dot on dorsal with white edged fins.
My knowledge on that genus is very limited though.

Take a look at some images of that genus and see what species most resembles that one. Give your goby some time to settle in and maybe color up. But most of that genus care requirements should be relatively the same.
Finding out the location it was collected from may better pin point the exact species. Find out what fish group it came as a contaminant in, to narrow down what region of the world it came from.

Here is a little goby database if you want to take a look for comparisons
https://www.kahaku.go.jp/research/db/zoology/Fishes_of_Andaman_Sea/contents/gobiidae/top.html

Some info (use translator)
???????????????? Species Index | ???????????????????????????????????????????????? : Mugilogobius chulae
???????????????? Species Index | ???????????????????????????????????????????????? : Mugilogobius tigrinus

Mugilogobius database
Fish Identification

Thank you so much for the information and links. It was very helpful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.