The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once upon a time, you could easily find oak tank stands. Now that I need to find one of these unicorns, I can't.
I loathe, despise, hate the cheap materials that are available nowadays. As much as I hate the materials, I have to think that they have been engineered to handle that kind of weight, where of course a piece of furniture has not. Do you think there is more vertical support in an actual tank stand to help carry the weight, as opposed to furniture? What is specific in their design to handle the weight?
Do any of you guys use a piece of furniture as a 55 gallon (or bigger) tank stand? Would you be willing to share pics?
What should I look for? Should I just not use regular furniture at all? Any advice, please.
Thank you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I built my own stand for the 55g I had at the time. It wasn't oak, but it doesn't need to be. It was extremely sturdy and I had zero worries about it. I wish I kept a picture to pass along. I do agree that the medium density fiber board, MDF, that composes most store bought stands today isn't as sturdy. Add that if it gets wet, it swells. Older coffee tables might be strong enough but the tank will be really low. I wouldn't trust it on any dresser either.

I know two LFS in my area will often take in aquarium stands from people getting out of the hobby. Any chance there's something like that in your area? If building on yourself is out of the question, maybe talk with a local high school about having their shop build something for you to suit your needs?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know two LFS in my area will often take in aquarium stands from people getting out of the hobby. Any chance there's something like that in your area? If building on yourself is out of the question, maybe talk with a local high school about having their shop build something for you to suit your needs?
Thank you, doughnut. Those are some good ideas.
If I can find a solid piece of furnture, it doesn't have to be oak. No, building something is out of the question for me.🤣
I just need to know if a piece of solid furniture can be trusted, even though it wasn't necessarily engineered for a 55 gallon tank full of water and gravel.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Furniture can definitely act as an aquarium stand even for 55 gallon tanks (either rimmed or rimless). BUT you need to be careful with how its constructed. Does that top have support under more then just the edges, are those supports strong enough themselves to hold the weight of the tank? Is it held together with glue, mechanical fasteners, or mortises? etc etc. If familiar with furniture its easy to figure out, if not familiar... it can be difficult. You can always get something custom made either from a craftsman local to you (ideal but potentially more expensive) or from someone doing this professionally online. Glasscages.com for instance does sell oak stands.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thank you, doughnut. Those are some good ideas.
If I can find a solid piece of furnture, it doesn't have to be oak. No, building something is out of the question for me.
I just need to know if a piece of solid furniture can be trusted, even though it wasn't necessarily engineered for a 55 gallon tank full of water and gravel.
Ha, I found some old pictures.

If you're able to find something, let us know! good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ha, I found some old pictures.

If you're able to find something, let us know! good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I am salivating here. I need this stand in my life.😩

Wanna sell it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Most furniture that I would trust to hold a tank that size would cost more than a custom-built piece from a cabinet shop or local woodworker.
Most modern, knockdown furniture is made of particle board and MDF (two materials that are prone to sag and don’t play well with water).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.