The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two different fish in my aquarium right now, 4 White Cloud Mountain minnows and 3 Neon Tetras. I have a very heavly planted tank of java fern (20 gallons). I just noticed 1 small fry about 2 weeks ago and now its gotten much bigger. I have read it is nearly impossible to breed Neon Tetras but this one really looks like one. The pictures arent the best but could someone help ID it?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
It is not at all impossible to breed neon tetras, they're just egg scatterers. And yep, that's a baby neon. Congrats!
If you chuck a big hunk of moss in there, it'll help any other fry survive.
You should really get a few more of each and up your schools to at least 6, they'll be happier and you might get more spawning behavior.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Another vote for minnow. The line is longer (nose to peduncle/base of tail) and thinner. Proportion of the upper body mass to lower body mass below the lateral line looks more minnow.

Look at the line from various angles, does it appear red? If so then more reason for minnow (neons can also have a red iridescence in their stripe at certain times)

Notice the neons or minnows playing more than usual?

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
White cloud mountain minnow fry have a stage of growth where they have a blue irid band which is why the fish is sometimes called "the poor man's neon tetra". As they grow you're notice red in their caudal and dorsal fin. They will eventually look like the adults.
I have a 20g long with just white clouds and some snails) and they've been breeding. I have at least 3 juvies that eat with the adults now and unknown tiny fry. Densely planted and matured tanks give the fry a chance (adults may eat them). Its odd seeing them look more like a neon tetra then a while could, but they white cloud babies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.