The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what kind of Fry these are? They just showed up in the tank one day - must have hatched from eggs on one of the plants.

The only other fish in the tank (currently) is a clown pleco. I have a bunch of Cherry and Blackberry shrimp in there too. So I'm not terribly worried about them being eaten, I just don't know what they are.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Probably from an egg layer/scatter fish and some eggs hitchhiked on the plants you brought. Could be some kind of tetra, or maybe even a guppy fry.

Can anyone tell me what kind of Fry these are? They just showed up in the tank one day - must have hatched from eggs on one of the plants.

The only other fish in the tank (currently) is a clown pleco. I have a bunch of Cherry and Blackberry shrimp in there too. So I'm not terribly worried about them being eaten, I just don't know what they are.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I do have some kind of ugly feeder guppies in the tank the plants came from, as well as some neon tetras. Guppies aren't really egg layers, though, so I'll hope they're more neon tetras.

Other fish in the tank that the plants came from are:
Glofish
Boesmani Rainbow
Turquoise rainbow
Clown Plecos
Mollies
a Golden Severum
and a couple of otos

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
danio makes sense. They're already showing so much color for being so little. They must be glofish fry.

Now that presents another problem. Glofish are illegal to sell or breed unless you're approved by the lab that developed them. So what do I do if they get too prolific? That shouldn't be a major problem soon since I still have lots of room in the 75 gallon tank their parents are in, but I can see it being an issue in the future. maybe the severum and rainbows will just eat future fry and I won't have to deal overpopulation after all.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ahh the joys of patented living things...being a small farmer I deal with legalities of patented seeds all the time. It's a real pain in the butt. I could see the glo-fish company suing people when their product naturally reproduces in someone's tank without the person even trying...seed companies do stuff like that all the time...if their patented crop gets blown into someone else's field by mistake, they then sue that farmer for illegally growing their copyrighted product!

I personally don't like glo-fish so I'd use them as feeders lol.

·
Registered
956 Posts

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Maybe, but I've heard that glowfish were bred so that when they are sold to pet shops they are not fertile. Most fish fry look similar when they are young, so you never know at the early stages...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.