The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see it on the top of the forum pages all the time, what is it?

It looks like some sort of cichlid to me...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
an Apisto? yay! it is a cichlid, hehe. Its so pretty :D:D:D I want one... lol, but I don't think I could in my tank.

thank you for telling me what it is :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did some research just now, and maybe it could be a cockatoo cichlid (apistogramma cacatuoides) it looks really similar... but the pictures I've seen are more orangey red than yellow... hmmm

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Appistogramma Cacautoides or however it's spelled. Lots of cool apisto's out there, but thats what that one is.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Yep, definitely cacatuoides. Arguably the easiest apisto to breed. They are lovely little buggers! A shop called the "Puppy center" in Hartford CT sells them. Also, another shop called "Aquatic Wildlife" off exit 63 I84 east sells them. Two excellent shops.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:/ I've been told my tank is already fully stocked. Also, not sure if they would get along with my fish, although that would be cool to try and breed them...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got a pair of these in a separate tank no breeding yet.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yeah, it's a male apistogramma caucatoides. I think that variety is sometimes sold as 'triple red'. Neat little fish when you can get ahold of them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I used to breed Apistos back in NC. What a wonderful time! Now I'm in CT, and will get back in the hobby soon. They are really lovely and amazing little cichlids, come in compact package but with full cichlid intelligence and the fighting spirit.

If you are new to this species, I suggest start with A. Borelli, much easier on water parameters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts