The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to corner the market of freshwater fish. So far i have had much success with bolivian rams but i am looking to expand my horizons. Please tell me when kind of freshwater fish you are looking for, particularly large quantities of. Even if they are near impossible to find. Thanks!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can find those bottom ones at most bait shops or by using a minnow trap with some chicken or dog food in it. My profile photo is a sunfish I used to have. May he rest in peace. I am also working on breeding a pair of double red apistogramma Cacatuoides I have. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may be getting a borellii pair soon so knowing someone will want the fry helps!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm keeping some room available in my 55 for a pair of dwarf south american cichlids, maybe some kind of apistos. I haven't decided what kind yet. But when I do, I'll have to order them. There's no lfs around here that carries them.

Julia

·
Registered
98 Posts
I want Coral Red Pencilfish!!! Anybody sell these here? My bf who isn't that interested in my fish hobby went :icon_eek: when he saw these beauties!! So now I want them! I want around 5 for my tank upgrade...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neat they're like red neons

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I would like to find some Hillstream Loaches, and a good variety of Pencilfish!!!

I like smaller fish 1.5 inches or smaller but I'm interested in anything colorful or uncommon.

We used to have a good LFS with tons of oddball items, but the owner retired and the new owner ran it into the ground, my second choice is only slightly better than Petco/smart when it comes to selection and online retailer want top dollar for stock & shipping with no gaurantee.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How many people use aquabid and do you recommend it over the retailers? This thread got me curious and I searched and found my red pencilfish...a little pricy...but found them and others that really interest me :D I've never purchased from aquabid though...

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Most AB sellers are pretty reputable. I bought a pair of gold german rams once and the guy even threw in a free baby long finned BN pleco. Always check reviews. Ask for photos, parameters, and shipping cost/type. Also always ask the per fish rate and for discounts on multiple fish. I won't mention names here but some AB sellers will literally sell ONE fish for dirt cheap so you think when you auto buy you're going to be able to get a good size group for half the price. Instead they sell you like a single tetra and request you to buy others at double regular price.

As for C. eremius. I think I'll be getting some soon...*fingers crossed so I should be able to provide people with starter cultures...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I've recently been looking for red shiners and/or southern redbellied dace. Surprizing how hard it is to find tank raised stock of a native American fish. I've almost convinced myself to go collect them personally.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't do desert gobies because they only live up to 1 1/2 years. Just not worth it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.