The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a planted 3 gallon with 6 orange nano shrimp. There is currently no plant fertilizer—just aquarium gravel.

What kind of fertilizer would be best and least likely to affect the water parameters? Specialty plant substrate, root tabs, or liquid fertilizer? Also, I am currently running a small in-tank filter, but may replace this with just an air stone, no filter. Would those two options affect the best fertilizer to use for water quality?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
They will all affect water parameters. I think that what you may be asking is: which of the three can you control better? I am not one to use active substrate or root tabs for this reason. However, they do work and you will find many members that do support them.

I prefer fertilizing the water column only. In this way, you are controlling the dosing as opposed to allowing the substrate or root tabs to do so. If I were to give up this control, I would go with an active substrate that would keep GH and KH parameters stable, but not add any other fertilizers (some active substrates add a slew of various fertilizers). Root tabs would be my last choice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will all affect water parameters. I think that what you may be asking is: which of the three can you control better? I am not one to use active substrate or root tabs for this reason. However, they do work and you will find many members that do support them.

I prefer fertilizing the water column only. In this way, you are controlling the dosing as opposed to allowing the substrate or root tabs to do so. If I were to give up this control, I would go with an active substrate that would keep GH and KH parameters stable, but not add any other fertilizers (some active substrates add a slew of various fertilizers). Root tabs would be my last choice.
Great—That is what I wanted to hear lol—thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.