The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a trimming recently on my wisteria plant and I cut a leaf off that I thought had algae on it. After pulling it out of the aquarium I noticed that it was clearly eggs of some kind. This particular leaf had a gelatin like substance that was thin and maybe 1/2 inch long and appeared to have eggs within the gelatin. Maybe a total of 15 eggs. They all had black dots in the middle. Unfortunately the mother in law is borrowing my camera so i don't have a picture and I assumed they were snail eggs so I tossed em. I have enough snails! After looking on the net a bit I don't think they were snails as they didn't look anything like pond snail eggs, and I read that MTS's put their eggs above water. Either way any idea what they were? Tank mates include otto's, amano shrimp, cherry shrimp, Flying fox's, Neon tetras, gold tetras, a lonely bulldog pleco, and one lonely zebra danio left from the startup. I heard neons breed readily but my PH is well above 7 which should not be conducive to them breeding. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you have pond snail, I guarantee you that they are pond snail eggs. There is a girl on another forum I am on that is looking for pond snails to feed to her puffer. I have thrown out many "jelli packs" because I had way to many snails. I missed one "jelli pack" and now I have about 15 pond snails in my tank.

I have noticed...
Rams Horn? lay their eggs under a hard tan shell
Trumpet have live babies
Pond snail have "jelli packs"

Those are the only snails I have had.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah must be the pond snails. I'm glad I threw them out then. They hitched a ride on some plants and now I've got more then I care to. I love the MTS's though. Thanks for the input!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts