The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't get a good picture to get the detail of the leaf but definitely not like any of my other crypts. It has long, pointed, undulated dark green leaves. Medium sized crypt., green undersides. The unusual part of it is the vertical red stripes on the leaves. The leaves also have red edges and the plant has reddish stems. The shape of the plant is kinda like Cryptocoryne becketti, but when I look at the description of the plant, it isn't like the plant I got. It doesn't look the red and brown other crypts I have at all. Of course the LFS has no idea either what it was, I grabbed the 2 they had.

Any ideas what type of crypt it may be?

Tina

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a crummy digital camara that doesn't show the leaf detail, and of course I didn't think of taking a picture BEFORE I planted it. Shape wise it looks similar to the crypt I mentioned, just the patterning on the leaves. Not the solid brownish red like my others, it's green with markings (not sick either, colors similar to an Ocelot sword, but not a sword ;)). It has a pretty extensive root system too, so I don't want to dig it up and battle getting them all buried again ;). It seems to have runners though since there were little plantlets at the ends of some roots.

Tina

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I thought of that and I wish, LOL. It has darker red marks on a green leaf. Also the leaves are longer and thinner than that, kinda like undulata.

I may have to uproot one when I get home to try and get a picture.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You may want to consider either uprooting it, or trimming one "sacrificial" leaf to get a good photo out of the water. If you really wanna know what it is, that may be the only way.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Also be aware that it could be a hybrid of some kind. I have a crypt that I believe is a hybrid between wendtii and another. At least that's what the seller told me ;P

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also be aware that it could be a hybrid of some kind. I have a crypt that I believe is a hybrid between wendtii and another. At least that's what the seller told me ;P
I'm hoping it'll keep it's stripes. I like it better than my bronze wendtii and mi oya (which sported into looking totally different than when I got it)

·
Registered
194 Posts
what kind of crypt

identifing most crypts is allmost impossible.they change several times from juvies to adults.also from tank to tank.i received at least ten different kinds a couple of years ago and now that i've grown them i could not begin to say whats what for the most part.from what i understand is that the flowering plant is the only way to be sertain of its kind.anymore i just call them cryptocorynes and enjoy. cornhusker

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
identifing most crypts is allmost impossible.they change several times from juvies to adults.also from tank to tank.i received at least ten different kinds a couple of years ago and now that i've grown them i could not begin to say whats what for the most part.from what i understand is that the flowering plant is the only way to be sertain of its kind.anymore i just call them cryptocorynes and enjoy. cornhusker
I hear ya on this one, I started out with several different types. I had a Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya' that stayed looking like it for a while, then reverted to look like a bronze crypt. I just hope it'll keep its stripes :). Right now it's beating the pants off of my other wendtii crypts in looks. I had to take some of the older leaves off of the plant because of some beard algae before planting it but they didn't have the markings.

I enjoy thumbing through stores for unusual plants that got slipped in the shipments ;).

Tina

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.