The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Not a yellow Lab, but it does look like a juvie of some Malawi cichlid, more likely a zebra. In any case they need hard, alkaline water and will likely eat most plants.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Not a yellow Lab, but it does look like a juvie of some Malawi cichlid, more likely a zebra. In any case they need hard, alkaline water and will likely eat most plants.
Jip, does not belong in a community tank with plants.

I don't remember the name, but it gets pretty agressive, this is one to bring back to the store.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Looks like a zebra - african cichlid. Very aggressive. Wont get too big but will beat all of your other fish up.

·
Registered
715 Posts
This is a yellow lab, I have about 15 of them. African cichlid from Malawi. They will eat some plants, but I have had luck keeping jungle val, and some anubias with them.in the past. I ended up killing the plants not the fish lol. Moss didn't work so well. They picked my driftwood clean in no time of it. Like hard water and lots of rock work to hide in. Mbuna = Rock dweller in some African language.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Its not a pure yellow lab. Not many are these days. That's most likely a lab/zebra mix. Still a cool fish.

·
Registered
780 Posts
darn... i really like this fish should i put it in my spare 10g that I use for a QT tank.... or should i just return him? i paid like 3$ for him.. hes reallyyyy small right now.
Might as well return it now, even a single cichlid will outgrow a 10 gallon tank in time, and will wreak havoc on anything else you put in there later for QT.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree with the hybrid thing. If you got it from a mixed cichlid tank at the LFS it is likely that those two breeded and the owner sold them the offspring. My old roommate did that with all his cichlid babies.

Also that looks exactly like his yellow lab, bumble bee hybrids did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts