The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

just wondering what kind of background you use (if any) on your tanks? Right now I have the blue roll-up sheet you get from the LFS taped on. It looks pretty horrible and dark since it's taped. One day when I'm motivated, I'll put that gel stuff on it so the blue is nice and bright!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I painted the back of my most recent tank with black latex paint and I like it better than anything else I have. It was very easy to do and looks great. as long as you use Latex, it should be safe and easy to remove later if you need. It should cost about $5 to get the paint and a cheap brush from a local hardware store.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I use spray paint. I tape the trim if there is any before I paint. It goes on great. I use cleaner to clean the area first to make sure there is not dirt. You then have a whole bunch of colors to choose from. It comes off pretty easy. Razor blade and a little work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Long ago I use the usual black paint which worked well but I never liked the scraping to get it off when a change is needed.
Later on I started using spray can version of Plasti-Dip (black). It worked well and allowed peeling it off later really easily. Although the surface was a bit textured and makes suction cup use tougher.
My recent tank I used the darkest window tinting film I could find. So far I think I am liking this method best. Removal would not be as easy as the Plasti-Dip spray but suction cups stick really well.

(below) outside of course.........I would not recommend painting the inside surface of the glass.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are you talking about suction cups on the outside? Hopefully, you were not painting the inside of the tank? It may not hurt, but I don't think I would take that chance. Paint the outside and you don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the (spray)paint idea, but I'm always looking for things to do in the tank and have a feeling changing up the background from time to time is gonna be one of them :)

Scraping paint sounds time consuming!

·
Registered
712 Posts
i've got a couple tanks with oceanvisions backgrounds (aka vinyl sheet), which i am very happy with. i think i bought mine from thatfishplace when i was placing a big order.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
i've got a couple tanks with oceanvisions backgrounds (aka vinyl sheet), which i am very happy with. i think i bought mine from thatfishplace when i was placing a big order.
Is it the kind that you apply like window tint or is it sticky?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
yes just like the cheap decorations you can put on your front window of your house. the things u get at the dollar store...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I paint all my tanks black because to me it seems to bring out the colors very nice. I have seen tanks that are painted blue and they look nice but I still prefer black.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts