The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been through a few transitions and here is my latest scape. It is still very young and is yet to grow out. I trimmed some plants, replanted and reorganized a bit.

Dosing estimative index, Plantex CSM+B, N,P and K. Regular water changes.

Tank size 18 gal. (ADA 60p)
Tek Lights 24w, t5ho, 2 Giesemann Midday full-spectrum bulbs and 2 Giesemann Aqua Flora Midday full-spectrum bulbs.
ADA Aquasoil in the back, ADA Bright Sand in the front.
Eheim 2217
Pressurized CO2, Rex Grigg Regulator, Ideal Needle Valve
Needle Wheel-Eheim Compact+ Marine 1103 pump
Hydor 200w In-Line Heater

Here are my water parameters:
pH = 5.5
GH = 60ppm = 3.36°
KH = 70ppm = 3.92°
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10
Temp = 77-78

Full tank shot

Right side

Left side

Another full tank shot

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beautiful! What are those red-orange stem plants on the right side?

Flame moss might look really cool on that driftwood. :thumbsup:
I got those from Jens :icon_mrgr :proud:

Ludwigia Guinea (Ludwigia senegalensis)

Very nice. What is the plant on top of the driftwood?

I would have moved the wood a bit more off-center, probably to the right. And for a final photo, remove the green strainer thing. Otherwise it is a winner.
Thanks for the advice, its well needed. I'm a little embarrased :icon_redf the plant in question happens to be a stem of HC that hitch hiked along some stems. It has grown quite large compared to the size it arrived in. I was thinking about getting some HC to plant in the sand but that is still just a thought, no immediate plans.

I just realized what you were talking about. The plant sitting in the hollowed part of the wood. It is a stem plant. Actually I got that plant from Smoq. I'm not sure of the name... I forgot. I hope he chimes in and let us both know what it is. The plant is about 6 to 7 inches tall. When I got the plant it was about 4 inches and only had a few leaves. In the short time its been in my tank it has exploded. It has a lot of roots shooting out of everywhere.

I'll try to get some better photos of the plant for you including the massive roots shooting out from the sides of the stem. By the way the stem is very thick.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wasserpest, here is a photo of the plant in question out of water. This is smoq's photo of the plants I purchased from him, I wasn't expecting that particular plant but is was a pleasant surprise.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Wasserpest, here is a photo of the plant in question out of water. This is smoq's photo of the plants I purchased from him, I wasn't expecting that particular plant but is was a pleasant surprise.

Reminds me a bit of Samolus, but can't be sure.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks jinsei888. What is that fish in your avatar? Is it a zebra oto? I would really like one or two of those.

Coltonorr I'm only trying to get my tank to look as good as the rest of you guys. I certainly took a cue from you! :icon_wink

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got some Espeis from invertz that arrived tuesday, in great condition I might add and by thursday they were spawning. Here are some photos of the Espeis spawning yesterday afternoon again.

I was shocked that the spawning started so soon. They really colored up well and they have a hardy appetite. So far the Espeis have eaten with enthusiasm frozen brine shrimp, frozen chopped mysis shrimp, frozen chopped blackworms and flakes.

They spawned under these leaves:

Let the spawning begin:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wasserpest and bherren, you guys are too kind, actually last night I received the package of pre-filters I ordered. I guess now I have a good chance of the fry not getting sucked into the filter which means I will most likely let nature take its course. Whichever fry survives will be a welcomed addition to the school.

I tell you one thing though, if the population gets out of control I will be offering RAOK to all who will provide them a good home.

·
Registered
205 Posts
what are your water parameters? i'm just trying to figure out what you did besides feeding all of the rich foods to get them to breed so quickly....amazing! what are they doing now? any egg/fry eaters yet? from what i've read in 80F water the eggs will hatch in 24 hours. have yours hatched? i've also read that the breeding stock should be removed to prevent fry predation. what are your experiences so far?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Beatiful tank....GREAT thread!! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you and you're welcome :proud:

what are your water parameters? i'm just trying to figure out what you did besides feeding all of the rich foods to get them to breed so quickly....amazing! what are they doing now? any egg/fry eaters yet? from what i've read in 80F water the eggs will hatch in 24 hours. have yours hatched? i've also read that the breeding stock should be removed to prevent fry predation. what are your experiences so far?
Here are my water parameters:
pH = 5.5
GH = 60ppm = 3.36°
KH = 70ppm = 3.92°
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10
Temp = 77-78

The only reason I feed them the foods I did was to give them an opportunity to regain their strength after shipping. I figured that if I feed them well I will minimize any losses. I'm happy to announce all is well and no losses. :icon_mrgr

The temp is listed above however with the lights on I believe the temp climbs to about 80°-82°. I had absolutely no intentions on ever breeding these particular fish but since it happened, I think I'll let nature take its course. I haven't seen any fry yet but if it ever gets out of hand there will be many RAOK going on.

Wasserpest here is the photo of the Lobelia Cardinalis with the massive roots coming out of everywhere. That is the best photo I can get without pulling the plant out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.