The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is your preferred tank size for breeding colonies of shrimp?

In the past mine has been 10g just because I have that size tank and I like that size tank. :hihi: People have kept up to a few hundred shrimp on a 10g so that usually works for me.

In the past my 55g was a pure shrimp tank as well. This is a bit impractical for small spaces though.

So, what do you think the perfect tank size is for a breeding colony?

-Andrew

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Obviously, breeder tanks give a lot ground area for the shrimp to walk around on, and you can really pack one with lots of driftwood, but I have never used one for before, the one I'm setting up now will be my first.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a 15g tank that was originally supposed to be a qt tank that I turned into a shrimp tank. It works well with more floor space than a 10g. I'm trying to thin out the colony a little right now by feeding them to my convicts, but eventually I plan on using that tank as a baby swordtail grow out tank if I can a keep it from being overstocked.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I'm currently using my Mini M but have tons of Bio Media (Bio Rio 3L, Bio Sponges 1L, and Bamboo Carbon that is useable for Bio afters its exhausted 2L).

Craig

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally I've never had luck with multi species tanks, one always outcompetes the other and only one type remains a few months later...

10g. Plenty of space for two species with hundreds of individuals, and it costs under $10...
I think 10g is the way to go but please keep posting your opinions and experiences!

-Andrew

·
Registered
316 Posts
In my 3.6G tank the RCS are out breeding the CRS. At feeding time the CRS get what they want though so it shouldnt be too much of a problem. Maybe down the line i'll move the CRS into another tank if the RCS population gets too overwhelming for them.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I like 20 gallon long the best. It looks much more spacious than its actual size (20 gallons). Plus, a larger footprint is a nice thing to have!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about 15 gallon longs? Granted at the moment their price is crazy... but the dimensions are nice (but not for scaping)

Seems to me 10-20 is about average.

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
10g works great for me.

In the coming weeks I will be setting up a 65g for plecos, hillstream loaches, and shrimp. This will free up two tanks for CRS and other shrimp (Hawaiian Reds!!!! spleeeeeeeee). Will see how that works out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts