The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What is your opinion on canister filters (or any other type; UGFs are rarely used nowadays)?

~ Glen Community Support

·
Registered
132 Posts
Great at mechanical filtration. Bad at nitrification. Can be set up to be OK at denitrification (depending on the media used).

Also, most good canisters are super pricey. They're a bad choice for anyone that has a lot of tanks, or anyone that has enough time to DIY an overflow and sump.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I just don't understand why they are so expensive. Surely plastics must be getting cheaper with the oil prices so low.
And most of them are just a plastic can with a pump inside, and a few plastic tubes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I advocate canisters for a reason which most, even fish lovers, find somewhat esoteric: noise...for the fish. I have long felt that providing a comfortable environment should be all encompassing. Water chem..check. Temp...check. Hardscape, hiding places, open spaces...check. Noise.........Noise? Yes, noise. Although I cant prove it scientifically, I have to imagine that living a entire life with that incessant DRONE of an impeller pump has to get annoying for them. Canisters are simply the most practical way of getting that "in-tank" noise as low as possible. Internal filters are the worst of course, followed very closely by any HOB.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Canister filters are a great multi use filter system for fresh or saltwater. Eheim is my favorite with many of my old customers runnning the same canister for 30 years plus without a problem. Compare that success with the current crop of throw away models from other manufacturers. Love the Thermofilter and the built in heater system. I manufactured Trickle filter or Wet Dry filters for over 20 years and I bet not many are left around...but the Eheim canisters are still humming along.

·
Registered
161 Posts
canisters are great and well worth the money, I am talking about basic models here. the fancy models with sensors and electronics are waste of money, too many components that will break.

I would highly recommend eheim classic model to anyone.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I like the ability to customize media right out of the box. As an added bonus, my wife can hear a bug burp at a hundred yards, so the quiet running is a great thing.

Reactions: J Art

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
HOB filters have a problem in open top aquariums where evaporation is high. The varying water level will break siphon on them. Plus HOBs are generally too small to hold much media.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm very happy with my marineland emperor 400 HOB. Lots of space for your own media, pretty quiet, and 400 GPH. All that for just $50!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I switched to a canister filter (Fluval 306) and haven't gone back, love how quiet it is, ease of changing the media compared to an internal filter or HOB filter.
Provides adequate water turnover.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have Eheim 2217 it is great, the only downside i see : no baskets, you have to empty it completely for maintenance.

I have seen really good comments on the last Rena's canisters and SunSun's.

HOB the waterfall can be loud and can degazz co2.

I may try the fluidized bed filters in a couple of years.

Michel.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm very happy with my marineland emperor 400 HOB. Lots of space for your own media, pretty quiet, and 400 GPH. All that for just $50!
Those filters are really good for 40-55G tanks. I have a few of those.

Once you go bigger, I've found it easier to have canister filters. The size of HOBs just become too big at that point and aren't efficient. I've been having better results running canister filters on tanks 75G and larger. Clear water, far easier maintenance, longer lasting, and better looking equipment. I even run some of my 29s off of canisters. It makes it easier to put the tank in weird places, etc.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Too expensive, too much maintenance, too much replacing filter media! Hamburg Mat Filter Is my favourite. With proper stocking you never have to clean it. I've seen HMF filters that have been running for over 8 years without ever being removed from the tank. You can also use them as a vertical surface to grow plants, and grow plants riparium style on top of them

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Too expensive, too much maintenance, too much replacing filter media! Hamburg Mat Filter Is my favourite. With proper stocking you never have to clean it. I've seen HMF filters that have been running for over 8 years without ever being removed from the tank. You can also use them as a vertical surface to grow plants, and grow plants riparium style on top of them
I love mine, get about a years worth of time between cleanings

1 - 20 of 32 Posts