The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious what's your low-tech lighting. What's the type? What's the wattage? How many bulbs? how big is your tank. I am considering to upgrade my light as it's only 38W (1 bulb) for my 140G. I don't even know if it's T5 or T8, I got it used and it's actually pinkish color.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I am considering to upgrade my light as it's only 38W (1 bulb) for my 140G. I don't even know if it's T5 or T8, I got it used and it's actually pinkish color.
Google for 38w with length and you should find out what you have.

What are the dimensions? The height is what determines what type of bulb you need in order to get light to the bottom. The strengths go from T8 to T5NO (normal output) to T5HO (high output). Also 10,000 k bulbs reach a higher depth. The reflector too makes a difference. Then there are also PCs(power compacts). PC bulbs last approx 9 months and are expensive to replace. Hoppy has a graph on light output.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
10G & 29G each with the Marineland Double Bright LEDs - only had these lights on them for about 6 weeks but the plants are responding well to them so far. I don't have anything very demanding though.

5G - 14W daylight spiral CF

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your reply everyone. I appreciate that.

90gal 2x54 watt T5HO (limited photoperiod)
Hi Laura, I have seen your 90G journal. OMG. Amazing. I was curiuos, you're using T5HO dual bubls, how long is it? 48"? 36"? isn't it too much for low-tech with T5HO? I am thinking about T5HO.

Btw, what is photoperiod? sorry, newbie question.

On my 40B I use 1 36" T5HO. It's an Odyssea fixture though, has a terrible reflector and I'm using the splash guard. Works great.
How long have you had this? do you get algae?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Do you have a thread for this tank? I'm thinking about getting a 40B and am most interested in how you lit this.

EDIT... DUH! how about I just look at your sig, eh? *slaps forehead*

How far above the water surface are the lights?
about 6-8 inches right now. but I can adjust it to where they are right on top of the tank or about a foot off the top of the tank.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Hi Laura, I have seen your 90G journal. OMG. Amazing. I was curiuos, you're using T5HO dual bubls, how long is it? 48"? 36"? isn't it too much for low-tech with T5HO? I am thinking about T5HO.

Btw, what is photoperiod? sorry, newbie question.
Thanks. My tank is 48L x 18D x 24H. 2x54 watts of T5HO is definitely pushing the edge of low tech, I do have to occasionally dose Excel when the plants get up close to the lights and run about a 6-7 hour photoperiod. I may someday switch down to T5NOs so I can have a longer viewing period. After 4 years running this fixture I've gotten pretty good at managing the light, though.

·
Registered
524 Posts
When I was setting up my 90, I decided to go with 2 x 48" dual bulb t5no coralife fixtures. I considered Laura's setup but didn't want to limit my photo period and I wanted very slow growth. I have one fixture come on at 11, the second on at 12, moonlights on at 7, first fixture off at 8, second fixture off at 9, moonlight off at 2 am. I love the different looks of the tank I get this way. When the fixture in the rear of the tank goes off and the one in the front is highlighting the water lettuce and dwarf sag and the background is dark with the shimmer from the moonlights....drool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.