The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Plain old top soil, or miracle grow organic choice mixed with a bit of plain unscented cat litter and peat.
Why? cause it produces desired result's much more cheaply than specialty substrates I have tried.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
What does the cat litter do?

It's just a cheap, readily available, inert clay-based substrate, and it has a high CEC (cation exchange capacity), this enables the substrate to temporarily 'hold' nutrients and such, and the plants can then 'take' the nutrients from the substrate.

Just make sure you get a basic, natural type, with no scents/colors/etc. Some types hold up okay, others turn to mush after being wet for a bit. Still good for plants, but can make a mess when disturbed.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
It's just a cheap, readily available, inert clay-based substrate, and it has a high CEC (cation exchange capacity), this enables the substrate to temporarily 'hold' nutrients and such, and the plants can then 'take' the nutrients from the substrate.

Just make sure you get a basic, natural type, with no scents/colors/etc. Some types hold up okay, others turn to mush after being wet for a bit. Still good for plants, but can make a mess when disturbed.
I have not used this but do use API First Layer Pure Laterite which, if you read the label is the same basic material.
But at $13 for a 55oz box. But I mentioned it because some plants prefer clay to other soils. I have one such plant in my
tank and it's actually a "bog" plant which I "collected" from the wild and it was growing in clay where I found it.
Of course you would need to Google the plant to see if you wanted to.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Dirt capped with sand, preferably black blasting sand. Currently working with rabbit poop and worm castings. Partially decomposed peat moss is good too. As for the retail substrates, I go with Eco-Complete.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Howdy Dave. I like my Turface. It can be a bit light for planting, especially small stemmed plants, but once established they grow well. I've been toying around with the idea of crushing the granules up slightly to make planting easier and keep the high CEC properties.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.