The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glad to see another YouTuber off the videos for a bit. I haven't posted a video in awhile since I needed a bit of a break too.
I don't have the same amount of experience as you do, but I have been pondering the same. I will offer a slightly different perspective since I haven't tried anything other than mineralized topsoil and safe t sorb.
The only complaints I have about safe t sorb are that it is dusty and can make a mess. That and it is lightweight and can get blown around the tank until you learn how to work around that.
In terms of aesthetics, I like the look of the Aquasoil, but given the price, I would probably opt for ecocomplete.
But I have also heard decent things about Fluval stratum and I really like the way it looks. So I might try that at some point.
Another idea I have been toying around with is capping one of the above substrates with sand since I think it would be easy to plant in--and I think it works well with a lot of different catfishes that I have been interested in keeping. From the best I can tell, all of the inert substrates (eco, flourite, stratum, etc) are about the same, so I think at some point it is just about whether you like the look of it or not-- or other factors like you mentioned i.e. how well it holds down plants.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Always something new to try...

That sounds very reasonable. Next year I may give the Eco a try. I mentioned this to my wife (breaking down the tank maybe next summer and trying a new scape) and it almost caused a divorce I think. I never used to understand why people messed around with their scapes so much, but I get it now. While the dirt isn't too dirty for me, this is also my first planted tank and I really just wanted to learn how to do it. Once I've had the tank running for about 8-12 months I may break it down and try something new. There are so many things I have learned this time around (and will continue to learn over the next several months). But there are also things I would do very differently. I think that's what makes it fun (and frustrating).

I haven't tried the Stratum. I have done Eco with MTS and I have done Aquasoil with Eco. I have used Flourite in the past and don't like the overall texture, it is a lot more flat and it is super dirty. You can see that for me I can't handle mess and the reason isn't OCD it is because I am constantly rescaping little section here and there to get it just right. And slow release pellets are going to provide way more balanced nutrients than even MTS. I know you are using it right now which is fine. It is always nice to find your own method. But I am done with all that jazz. The more you get into it the easier you want it to be. That's why people turn to Neptune Apex controllers and what not. For me Eco with Osmocote+ and Aquavitro grows plants amazingly well and I don't have to work as hard and I do very little water changes. Now Aquasoil works just as good I just don't think plants root very well in it. I know everyone would probably disagree, but my plants do way better in Eco than in Aquasoil. And with shipping it IS more expensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts