The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
"2.Mineralized topsoil- I feel a little better about it considering there are less organics. But it is still dirt. What is the point."

For me the point is plants grow in dirt in nature.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
....They also grow under sunlight and not in a glass box....Too messy....
~True about Natural sun light. Also add to your list, many plants live in fast moving streams or muddy water, there is seldom more that one sp. in a given area, plants are not neatly pruned and usually they are chewed on, and covered with dirty bio-film. Temperature swings up & down as much as degrees a day/night cycle. Actually many of our plants are aquatic weeds that come from 3rd world drainage ditches and are fertilized by water buffalo poop. :biggrin:

~ Messy is on the hobbyist....you can't blame the dirt for your impatience/lack of skill in planting/removal :wink:

Not unlike the people that are against acylic tanks because they can scratch. Then don't be a klutz :tongue: The acrylic doesn't scratch itself. :hihi:

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
And speaking of, I had a vision...more like a nightmare..that I would go to my cousins farm, collect some horse poop, dry it
and mix it with plain fine gravel as a substrate to simulate the decaying plant matter in/on the bottom of a pond.
Has anyone ever tried this successfully ? Bet I'm asking for mega algae at the least.....
Two words...Toxic Ten

:icon_bigg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts