The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Golden panda (calico) mollies! I know I wont get much love on here for suggesting a semi-brackish fish, but mine are very excitable and full of personality... and babies.

Please keep hands off glass.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I like schools of nanofish, even in larger tanks. My current favorite is
Microdevario kubotai, neon green rasbora. Hardy, easy, friendly, not shy, pretty, look gorgeous in a school and school nicely, esp in a planted tank. Not sure why they don't get more 'press'.

I hear great things about Glowlight danios (Danio choprae) as tightly schooling fish, but I've never tried them.

I also have a group of ~12 celestial pearl danios (formerly galaxy rasbora; Celestichthys margaritatus). They don't 'school' and are generally shy, but their behavior is fun to watch the way the males show off circling each-other. They are certainly not shy when I come up to the tank around feeding time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've fallen in love with Chili rasboras, though they shoal. What's cool aside from the vibrant male coloring is that are not very shy and tend to be front and center as middle/top dwellers.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've fallen in love with Chili rasboras, though they shoal. What's cool aside from the vibrant male coloring is that are not very shy and tend to be front and center as middle/top dwellers.
I have the same experience with my Chilis. They are not shy at all and are very cool interesting fish.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Espei Rasboras (Trigonostigma espei)

I have both groups of rummy nose tetras and espei rasboras. I'd say espei's school just as tightly and as much as rummies, if not more. Plus espei's have more color to show for. Rasboras do occupy the top half of the tank, while rummies occupy the lower half.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Espei Rasboras (Trigonostigma espei)

I have both groups of rummy nose tetras and espei rasboras. I'd say espei's school just as tightly and as much as rummies, if not more. Plus espei's have more color to show for. Rasboras do occupy the top half of the tank, while rummies occupy the lower half.

Get them both for schooling glory.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
In my experience,Rummy nose.
Most fishes only school out of fear of predation by larger fish.
In a large tank, with no threat of predation,they will be more likely as not to swim alone or in pair's or three's all over the tank.Is a good thing no?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I currently have a group of Espei as well. My experience mirrors yours except for when I had Rummies they tended to school tight at all times whether or not I was in close proximity to the aquarium. I do love the colors of the Rasboras. Especially the males! Plus, the Rasboras are less shy than Rummies.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.