The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your favorite filter media and why?

Mine is fluval biomax. I got 1 kilogram of it for around $6 USD and it's by far the best and most absorbent media I have ever seen/used (I don't think it's sold anymore, I bought it on amazon and I no longer see it at least in that price range). My least favorite would be seachem matrix, it's so expensive and it's just a low quality pumice. I bought a big bucket once and it had all sorts of other rocks thrown about in it, not to mention its low absorption rate of water.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sponges in my HOB, especially a coarse sponge followed by a finer sponge. Traps a lot of detritus, and is so easy to clean and maintain. Cheap, too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
A few years ago I remember using pillow or quilt batting. Worked pretty well and was very cheap. If I recall correctly, you can't use "flame retardant" batting due to chemicals. Can anyone confirm that?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Captain
75g, 40g, 20g
3,739 Posts
A few years ago I remember using pillow or quilt batting. Worked pretty well and was very cheap. If I recall correctly, you can't use "flame retardant" batting due to chemicals. Can anyone confirm that?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Correct, I would not use the flame retardant products. Plain old quilt batting does a very good job as a fine mechanical filter - been using it for years on several tanks.

Bump:
What's your favorite filter media and why?

Mine is fluval biomax. I got 1 kilogram of it for around $6 USD and it's by far the best and most absorbent media I have ever seen/used (I don't think it's sold anymore, I bought it on amazon and I no longer see it at least in that price range). My least favorite would be seachem matrix, it's so expensive and it's just a low quality pumice. I bought a big bucket once and it had all sorts of other rocks thrown about in it, not to mention its low absorption rate of water.

I did some testing awhile back and found the Fluval BioMax to be a pretty good biomedia. I personally use Eheim Substrat Pro - mostly because I already had it. Sponge filters seem to hold the most bio for what it's worth. And you are correct, Matrix is basically "size sorted" pumice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been using some generic sponge followed by hydroton with great success. If I remember correctly I got a huge bag of hydroton for wicked cheap(~$15 for a 15 gallon tote worth) awhile back to try out aquaponics. It's comparable to any generic biomedia as it's just porous clay balls, you just have to rinse it well before use. I'm using a few handfuls worth to filter my 10 gallon and still have a giant tote worth that I don't know what to do with.

You can ge it for free/really cheap off of someone who is breaking down a hydroponics system too, most people don't re-use it because it's so easy/cheap to get a new bag.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sponges. Easy to clean, lots of surface area, mechanical and biological filtration. The only other filter media I have is those little aquaclear inserts. They are super cheap and easy to throw in a new filter to instant cycle it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts