The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some glass catfish(pretty expensive I might add) and they are like floating skeletons or ghosts!

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with them?

If so, have you been able to get them to eat flakes, pellets or any other type of normal aquarium food?

So far mine have not really eaten anything including freeze dried blood worms. I hope I am not going to have to turn into a worm farmer to feed them.

Also, I have always seen them in video hiding, these fish are right out in the open in my aquarium instead of hiding in the plants. Very different from what I have read about them.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 3 in 55 gal community tank with platies, mollies, glowlights, white clouds, cories, loaches and sm plecs. They stay in the plants a lot but are very active at feeding . They take flakes, pellets. frozen brine and bloodworms.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I have 3 in 55 gal community tank with platies, mollies, glowlights, white clouds, cories, loaches and sm plecs. They stay in the plants a lot but are very active at feeding . They take flakes, pellets. frozen brine and bloodworms.
You have incomparable stock temperature wise... withe clouds are cold water fish 65-72F, plecos ("plecs" as you put ) are warm water 78-82F.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Only thing I know about the glass cats... in that I've read this and seen this... is that they are a schooling fish and often just sit in open water and kick slowly together against the current. I've always thought about getting these as an open water schooling fish over tetras or rasboras. I just haven't taken action yet.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I've never found them to have any special needs. They seem to live a nice long time for me. Cool fish. I need to get some again.

Tommy

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Mine hung out under the filter inlet, swimming 'upstream' most of the time.
When the sun shone directly into the tank, the Glass Cats acted like a prism and I saw a rainbow on the wall which moved when they swam around.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I Have 2 of the 6 I originally got 2 years back. The other 4 jumped out during this time. They eat everything and are mostly nocturnal fish. They hide below plants during the day, but actively swim all over the tank when its dark. They have a dorsal fin. It looks like a small needle sticking out of the top. Like red tail sharks, there will be head banging to establish dominance. They may lose the barbels, but it grows back in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Mine hung out under the filter inlet, swimming 'upstream' most of the time.
When the sun shone directly into the tank, the Glass Cats acted like a prism and I saw a rainbow on the wall which moved when they swam around.
Woah, that sounds really cool!

Have to admit I am skeptical that their transparent bodies can act as a light prism as I've never seen a transparent fish do that before, then again I've never had natural sunlight beam on any tanks with those kinds of fish, but sounds really cool if that really does happen.

Thanks for mentioning that, I've never of that happening before!
I might have to set a tank up in a sunlit area just to do so!

·
Registered
25 Posts
You have incomparable stock temperature wise... withe clouds are cold water fish 65-72F, plecos ("plecs" as you put ) are warm water 78-82F.
I have seen temperature extremes of 50 - 90 degrees listed for White Clouds. All of the White Clouds in the aquarium trade are captive raised and have been for many years. I don't ever remember seeing white clouds in pet stores in the cold water section. If we had wild caught fish then I would agree they would do better in a cold water aquarium.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have seen temperature extremes of 50 - 90 degrees listed for White Clouds. All of the White Clouds in the aquarium trade are captive raised and have been for many years. I don't ever remember seeing white clouds in pet stores in the cold water section. If we had wild caught fish then I would agree they would do better in a cold water aquarium.
My Petstore had the white clouds in the Goldfish tank and I have read they are often sold as a companion to goldfish since they both like colder water.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I used to get them from Petsmart and 1 out of 4 usually die in the first few days, if they survive the first few days they are usually good to go. You'll need a shoal of them as they like to school in groups,they love high water movement and lower light levels.

Once they get accustomed to the tank they will eat just about anything in the top and mid level. Mine took flakes and slow sinking pellets. Once the food is in the water the school will break and they will streak across the tank grabbing the food. It's great to watch!

In the evenings, you can put up a small light that strikes the tank at an angle and you can see their transparent bodies shimmer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.