The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
That bulging belly could be from any of several things.

Fish can get constipated. They will often hover near the bottom, not move around very much. Offering a variety of food that includes some roughage such as daphnia or peas can help. A bath in water with some epsom salt can help. (research the recipe)

Female fish can hold eggs.

Some kind of growth, tumor... often this will be one sided.

Internal parasites.

A large meal. As the fish digests it the lump will go away. Don't feed such large meals. Split the meals into 2 or more sessions.

Dropsy. Yes, it can be localized like this, fluid in the abdomen compared to all over in all the tissues.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Since I deal with African cichlids, I'm more familiar with this being called bloat. In African cichlids it is often called Malawi bloat and the causes/ cures are still a mystery of sorts. It is my opinion that there are likely to be a number of different causes and just as many potential cures. Humans can have something of the same diseases. (Diverticulitis) An obstruction in the digestive tract can be from a number of things. Constipation is as good a name as any. For whatever reason food stops moving and that can lead to bloating as the food then is not processed and "spoils" in place. This can then lead to infection/ fungus/ mold or whatever we want to call it.
So in the early state, clearing the constipation so that food moves as it should can be the cure. But after a bit, the secondary problems become larger than the constipation itself. As it progresses in cichlids, they soon reach a point where the jaws will not close due to the swelling and you can look in the mouth to see nothing but white swollen flesh that keeps the fish from eating. At that point, I find it really hard to cure the fish as the infection needs to be treated internally but the fish can't eat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.