The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This guy is in a 40 gallon along with 3 other nerites. I bought 4, and I can confidently identify 3 of them. Healthy, full of color, and very active.

This guy is active, but lacking color and looks odd. He has been like this for months. At first I thought he was a really weird hitch hiker, but I think this might be my 4th nerite snail.

What is going on with this guy?? He seems active and eating, been like this for months, but I have no idea what is up with him!

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
65 Posts
That looks like a relatively large Bladder snail (AKA pond snail). They are effective algae eaters, but they will lay clear egg sacks around the tank and reproduce if they have a constant food source. Personally I don't mind them and keep a small population in all my planted tanks. Just don't feed too much and you should be able to maintain their numbers where you want them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input! After this post, it did lead me to believe he is a pond snail based on the light colored shell and very short antennae, and the clear membrane with whitish dots. He was also on the larger side. Definately over a half inch or so.

Crazy I got a hitch hiker! I dip all my plants before planting. Sneaky guy!

Thank you all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.