The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Planaria, look up how to treat for them. My whole cherry shrimp colony declined rapidly after I noticed a few of them and they turned into a few thousand. After all the shrimp disappeared, I put a couple female bettas in there and they went wild clearing the tank.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow...I thought they might be an indicator for good water...haha

The solution I have looked at are under two directions:
1. put fish in, but shrimps could be gone too
2. Chemical, but I think they could be not easy to deal with as well..

any suggestions? thanks

it is pretty strange that I have not bought anything new for the past 3 months and I just saw them today

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see... thank you..I will try Planaria traps first since I have some snails in it, dont really want to remove them..lol

other than bloodworms as the bait, any other suggestions? would shrimp food work?thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,753 Posts
other than bloodworms as the bait, any other suggestions? would shrimp food work?thanks
Just about anything will work as bait. Just have to go trial and error til you find what works best. Maybe start with something that won't foul water too quickly. Then change things up if you need. And keep some long tweezers, a pipette or a turkey baster handy so you can get those little suckers manually when you see them.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just a bit of FYI to anyone interested: I have used panacur c canine dewormer without issue in a Cherry tank, a Carbon Rili tank, and a Blue Dream tank. I did not lose shrimp at all. Two doses two days apart totally obliterated the villains. Two days after last dose I started using carbon to pull any residuals out of the tanks and I checked for ammonia several times over the course of about ten days.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Just a bit of FYI to anyone interested: I have used panacur c canine dewormer without issue in a Cherry tank, a Carbon Rili tank, and a Blue Dream tank. I did not lose shrimp at all. Two doses two days apart totally obliterated the villains. Two days after last dose I started using carbon to pull any residuals out of the tanks and I checked for ammonia several times over the course of about ten days.

This isn't a good option for a tank with snails in it.... particularly fancy snails.

In fact, fenbendazole can make a tank inhabitable for snails for a minimum of 3-6 months if not longer.

·
Registered
502 Posts
This isn't a good option for a tank with snails in it.... particularly fancy snails.

In fact, fenbendazole can make a tank inhabitable for snails for a minimum of 3-6 months if not longer.
You are absolutely correct about the snails. I neglected to mention that. It's probably due to my disdain for the little critters, so they rarely ever cross my radar screen. My bad. Snail :Lovers, please disregard my advice for planaria treatment.

Reactions: Dreya

·
Super Moderator
15,753 Posts
I think it's still an overreaction to dose a tank with Panacur C/Fenbendazole unless one is overrun with planaria. But even then, there's a bigger problem that should be addressed instead of taking the easy way out: How'd one develop a population large enough to be a problem?

If I had so many that it had become a problem, I'd likely start the tank over from scratch if possible. Immediately start up a new tank - even if it's a temporary thing - with cycled filter media. Get shrimp moved over once it's safe. Then nuke everything, only saving plants and hardscape after everything has been treated and quarantined for a week or two.

It's anecdotal but I've seen Fenbendazole cause problems with berried shrimp and some non-berried shrimp just after molting. Have also seen tanks treated with the stuff be problematic for some fish species that get moved into a tank many months later. I'd avoid it whenever possible unless you're in a quarantine tank situation. Because nothing good happens fast in a shrimp tank.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all very much for the help.I bought a trap and used dry bloodworms. I have used it once weekly. I think it has been under control now.

thank you again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts