The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Some parts of my Ludwiga have this green coating on, I think it could be low iron possibly. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
114 Posts
It looks like the plant itself is struggling, and it's the only stem compared to the ones to the left and right of it (unless you see other stems that were effected). There is some new growth at the top however that looks healthy. If it's a green coating then it sounds like algae and it's taking advantage of the poor state of the plant. You may want to remove that entire stem, trim off the healthy growth, and replant those bits. What's your substrate, and are you fertilizing at all? how long is your photo period?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like the plant itself is struggling, and it's the only stem compared to the ones to the left and right of it (unless you see other stems that were effected). There is some new growth at the top however that looks healthy. If it's a green coating then it sounds like algae and it's taking advantage of the poor state of the plant. You may want to remove that entire stem, trim off the healthy growth, and replant those bits. What's your substrate, and are you fertilizing at all? how long is your photo period?
The rest of the bunch of the same plant are fine, by no means are they the Instagram condition you see in some tanks, but still good.

I believe it is algae, it’s only at the lower end of the stems and only in that one corner & also in a small patch which is slightly shadowed by branch with moss growing on, I’ve trimmed the moss right back to get as much light in as possible now.

Substrate is Tropica plant soil, ferts I use AquaDip (an all in one fert) and I dose at 2.5ml every 5 days roughly, injected co2 with a decent light for the tank

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
114 Posts
Yes then by all means don't hesitate to trim it, in the long run it will grow healthier and faster than trying to salvage it. This is especially true with stem plants that are fast growers.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Wait until those stems develop roots, then trim and replant. In this state you could induce a full melt by trimming the plant down too much.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait until those stems develop roots, then trim and replant. In this state you could induce a full melt by trimming the plant down too much.
Perfect thank you, would you suggest trimming and then pull out the original stem and replant or will the original salvage itself?

Also looking to change my ferts soon as I find it difficult to find other people’s advice on it as it’s quite an unused brand, any in particular you recommend?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also suspect algae and like the previous posts I would replant the tops and remove the original. In my experience the original don't bounce back unless they were very healthy to begin with. I would start with the "new" trimmed tops so they can start off healthy and algae free.

As for ferts I would try APT Complete or APT Zero from the 2Hr aquarist. I used to only use ADA products, but tried the APT ferts in a couple of new setups with success; especially the leaner APT Zero. For an all-in-one it seems to work best for me, but ymmv.

Also if its not just one plant I would double check your lighting intensity, period, etc and if it is just that plant consider different location in the tank; both to reduce the chances of future algae build up.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It is my experience that heavily rooted stems will regrow even if you cut them down to 1-2". The plant does not try to regrow leaves with holes or algae, so trimming away the parts with algae could be beneficial to the health of the plant if the plant is covered in algae.

As for ferts, you can mix dry powders or use a general all in one like nilocg, easy green, seachem's lineup, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts